Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What kind of gas do you use in your classic mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What kind of gas do you use in your classic mustang?

I used to drive by one specific station (Sunoco) and always saw classic cars there. Last year when I got my car I asked someone and they said Sunoco had a slightly higher octane. Since I had seen everything from Shelbys to 1930's hot rods, I "assumed" that it was best.

It was asking here that taught me that I can use regular 87 octane, particulary after I called to confirm they used hardened valve seats when rebuilding my engine.

Oddly enough, I still go to that Sunoco station for regular gas, and still see classics, probably because I get a real kick out of the kids who work there asking "where does the gas go?" or "does it go in the back?"

I have no clue what my compression ratio is but will ask when it goes to the body shop tomorrow for the cowl fix as well as needing the idle brought waaaaaaaaaaay down.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

>>>>It was asking here that taught me that I can use regular 87 octane, particulary after I called to confirm they used hardened valve seats when rebuilding my engine. <<<<
The octane rating has nothing to do with soft of hard valve seats. When these engines were first built, we used leaded gas to pad the soft seats. Now, without leaded gas, that advantage no longer exists.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
TheNewGuy

Im running on a 9.5:1 compression ratio will I be alright on 87
Old 06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

I run 91 which seems to be the highest I can get around here. Everytime, 91. I'm a freak about it if I dont have the premium fuel for my mustang I just know somethings going to go wrong (even though I know it wont!!!) [&:]
Maybe sometime I'll use 87...MAYBE. Then there are those times when my dad gets race fuel for some of the big motors we have, mmmm smells good, I use some of that too!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

I run 91 which seems to be the highest I can get around here. Everytime, 91. I'm a freak about it if I dont have the premium fuel for my mustang I just know somethings going to go wrong (even though I know it wont!!!) [&:]
Maybe sometime I'll use 87...MAYBE. Then there are those times when my dad gets race fuel for some of the big motors we have, mmmm smells good, I use some of that too!
You are wasting money. OK, I am off my soap box on this issue.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: Charlie1

Great explanation, Glen. Let me complicate the issue and get an opinion....In Minnesota, the 87 and 89 octanes are laced with ethanol by law (I think it's 15%). But you can buy 93 at several local stations, with no added grain alcohol and no oxygen added, that is specifically designated for use for collector cars, small engines, boats, etc. Is the trade off worth it (no rubber-eating everclear vs carbon problems)? Also, should I be using a lead additive? This is my 200 I6 with a verified 55,000 miles and has been running sweet on the 93 for the year I've had it. (BTW, you were right on the 190 thermostat...this is one engine that probably can handle it...I'm running a 180 and it's okay but now I'm gettin paranoid about deposits from running too cool.)
We have discussed the need for lead substitutes on here before, and I still maintain that if you have the old soft valve seats, it doesn't hurt to use the substitute, and you may be prolonging the life of your heads by using it. I use it. I put in a few caps full every time I fill up the car, and it still purrs like a kitten with almost 150 thousand miles on an untouched engine. That 180 thermostat is just fine. I need to do some research regarding the ethanol being added to gas. Some say it eats the rubber in the carb, but I don't know what rubber they are talking about. Are they talking about the needle tips, gaskets, or what? Where do you think I can go to get this proof that ethanol is bad for engines?
google
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TheNewGuy

Im running on a 9.5:1 compression ratio will I be alright on 87
Absolutely. You just have to tweak your timing.