Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

radio in 66

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
ironcladstang

Default radio in 66

i have a 66 coupe and the radio has been removed and the hole has been cut for a modern deck. on three differnt wiring diagrams i cant find a hot for the original radio, i cant find the radio at all. were can i run the switched hot from for the power to my radio???
Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: radio in 66

Look at the wires coming out of your ignition switch. You will see a large yellow one. That is constant power, so don't use that one. There is a blue/black wire that is only live when the switch is in the on position. That's the switched 12V you want for your radio.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

from the wiring diagram it should be black green. After 40 years that probvably looks the same anyway.
On the wiring diagram the cable that goes to several places (alternator, voltage regulator, indicators ....) hooked up to port a of ignition switch.

most radio hook up to 2 + cables.
One being from battery (after fuse) for memory and switched+ that the radio turns off when when you turn off the ignition.
switched+ is what soaring describes and thealways on+ should be the yellowone as soaring and diagram states.

If you hook both + cables from the radio to ignition only you'll loose all stations on the radio when turning off ignition.
(in case it's not an old one with a dial) ....

if you hook both to battery plus:
you can listen to the radio with no key in ignition
you'll drain your battery because you always forget to switch it off.

Incase you'll have to park the car for a few months (hybernating) you're best off disconnecting the battery ...

kalli
Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: kalli

from the wiring diagram it should be black green. After 40 years that probvably looks the same anyway.
On the wiring diagram the cable that goes to several places (alternator, voltage regulator, indicators ....) hooked up to port a of ignition switch.

most radio hook up to 2 + cables.
One being from battery (after fuse) for memory and switched+ that the radio turns off when when you turn off the ignition.
switched+ is what soaring describes and thealways on+ should be the yellowone as soaring and diagram states.

If you hook both + cables from the radio to ignition only you'll loose all stations on the radio when turning off ignition.
(in case it's not an old one with a dial) ....

if you hook both to battery plus:
you can listen to the radio with no key in ignition
you'll drain your battery because you always forget to switch it off.

Incase you'll have to park the car for a few months (hybernating) you're best off disconnecting the battery ...

kalli
That green looks blue to me. I didn't go by the diagram, I used my trusty milti-meter to find it. Yeah, either unhook the battery and take it inside during the winter, or get you a 1 amp charger hooked up that shuts off when the battery is full, and turns back on when the battery gets a little low. Those chargers ain't cheap though. They are around 50 bux each.