Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Upgrading drum brakes to disc brakes $?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
soonermustang

Default Upgrading drum brakes to disc brakes $?

I have a '67 Mustang Convertible and I'll thinking about switching the brakes to disc... does anyone know to cost on this conversion?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Stevetra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Upgrading drum brakes to disc brakes $?

Are you going to do all the work?
Are you wanting original type brakes, or the Granada swap?
Do you have tools?

All these items impact the cost of disk brakes.
Fill in the blanks, and I bet you get the answers you seek.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

FWIW, I have a 1964.5 Mustang with stock 14 x 5 wheels. I purchased a front drum to disc non-power conversion kit (SSBC) from Va. Classic Mustang for $875 and $47.40 S&H. A local shop installed them for $273 labor. Total costs~$1195.40. They work very well!

From a safety standpoint, I was told I must make the following changes:

(1) drum to disc brakes (2 or 4 determined by engine size and driving patterns) - mine is a 260 V-8 and I am no longer an aggressive driver so front discs were fine.

(2) swap out old and worn suspension. The difference in handling was amazing.

(3) install shoulder harness (3-pt is fine for usual use) in addition to lap belts. Lap belts alone do not prevent a steering column puncture of the chest or lower spine injuries (Orthopedic surgeons call these "Chance-type" spine fractures.).

This is not political commentary (I am as middle of the road politically as one can get) but Ralph Nader takes a lot of unwarranted heat - I am a middle-aged person and I witnessed where he made a difference. He did a lot of good things for automobile drivers and passengers after his friend got killed in an automobile accident before seat belts were mandatory. It was his effort that made Detroit change and make the automobile safer for us. Seat belts and air bags are just a few items he pushed for that have saved many lives... including my own. I owe him at least this endorsement for pushing for seat belts when Detroit did not want to give them to us for cost considerations! In retrospect, most would agree that lives are easily worth the costs of seat belts and air bags! Seatbelts saved my life on more than one occasion. Thanks Ralph.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

BINGO! You are the 1 millionth member who has asked that question. Where do you want your brand new 07 Cobra delivered to? Just kidding. We have a member here who sells a new Granada kit for less than 600 bux for members here. Several members have bought his disk brake swap kit and love it. He also has one of the more comprehensive guides. Give him a shout. His name is Dennis.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

granada swap is the cheapest way to get front disc have any thought on rear brakes you can go disc there too or use bigger truck drum set up.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring
BINGO! You are the 1 millionth member who has asked that question. Where do you want your brand new 07 Cobra delivered to? Just kidding. We have a member here who sells a new Granada kit for less than 600 bux for members here. Several members have bought his disk brake swap kit and love it. He also has one of the more comprehensive guides. Give him a shout. His name is Dennis.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf
Yes, Dennis's products are excellent and this "how to" article was very helpful.

Like said above, price depends on if you are assembling them yourself or not, if you have tools and know-how, and exactly what you buy. Since I already had the spindles and caliper brackets, I was able to get my complete setup for roughly 415. Thats including extras like slotted/drilled brakes, powder coating, ceramic pads, etc. If you just do the basics itll be cheaper. I guess I could have gotten away with 200 bucks.

You will also need Granada style outter tie-rods which Dennis has, and extensions for the Mustang brake lines to connect to the Granada brake hoses...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

What about kits for 4 lug cars? My dad is looking into getting front discs for his vert.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:15 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

You really need to get a NPD catalog (hint).
Jim
Old 07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Oh we have a few of them, but I didn't think 4 lug disc brakes where as popular as 5 lug kits. Thanks