Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 restoration/build up Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
1BD SNK

Default 1966 restoration/build up Houston

Okay will keep this thing up till the wife finds out. Bought the wife a 1966 A code Mustang convertible in great shape but the guy was just starting to restore the car from the last timein 1990. So we basically picked up a really nice car in pieces with a new white convertible top installed good chrome around top and 289 block just sitting in the car with intake and 4 speed trans barely bolted in. Interior was complete in all black with center console and power top. About 6 boxes of parts came with the car full AC system that had been sent out and reworked and a ton of new chrome and door handles and misc. bags of labeled parts.
Asking price 13K from Graigs list not ebay.....went and looked at car was pretty good shape and offered 8K.....couple days later counter offer of 9500.00 with come and get it from the owner. Lets just say his warehouse consisted of more cars over 100K so I thought he worked with me a little and straight cash helped the deal. So far we have the car hidden from the wife and hoping to have it done for her birthday in late March if it doesnt happen we will slide it back to our wedding anniversity in July.
Been doing the engine research and decided to order a crate engine turn key. Myself and my good friend owner of Baybrook Automotive have been back and forth on the motor. He owns a 65fastback 302 setup 5 speedcomplete and restoreda 66convert 289 in50% complete condition and a 65 conv needs resto and a 69 Shelby cobra original. So he knows mustangs and has does 5 to 10 a year for customers for the past 20 years. So I get all the parts wholesale from his suppliers and pay him for his guys labor at the shop.
ENGINE we decided on TandL engines crate 347 stroker with 430hp 444torque with cobra options oil pan and custome cobra tall valve covers. Lets just say I did not want to deal with having a bunch of issues with build up and combinations and wanted to focus on the rest of the car. Easy but it hurts to plunk done $7K but it is extremely close to turn key as you can get and after adding up all the parts and time to run between machine shops just makes sense to me not to have to deal with it at the shop. So far no work done and spent $16500.00......I hope this pays off.

If you guys are from the SVT groups you might know my other project 1996 SVT cobra vert / 2003 cobra crate moter T56 6 speed Kenne Bell supercharger 6 point chrome molley cage with custom door swing outs custom paint Misano L cobra race seats 6 point race harnesses. But all factory ac blows cold and runs full time on race gas to protect engine just upgraed to new fuel tank with high flow dual pumps and ported and powdercoated kenne bell SC intake and black powder coated cam covers. New dyno number at rear wheels will be extremely close to 700hp. Lets just say I have been down this path and now I want a ca r that will hold its value as long as we do not go overboard on it.

OKAY decisions so far: 1966 GT convertible
Interior: Pony black with parchment inserts ordered 200.00
Engine: 347 stroker 430hp 444 torque ordered 7000.00 keeping ac dealer installed so ordered with polished ac compressor and march pulley kit
trans: 5 speed T5 might go T56 6 speed but leaning toward 5 speed.
brakes: front disc not sure on rear might leave drum.
Hood: fiberglass shelby...not sure ut pins most likely
Paint: vermillion red or viper red trying decidse of white strips to match white convertible top over hood and trunk.
Wheels: 17x8 factory GT wheels aluminum for Cal pony car fills wheel wells up and like the original look.
rear end: posi for sure size dont know yet