Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help design my 1965 Fastback suspension and drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help design my 1965 Fastback suspension and drivetrain

Only reason I didn't mention Globel west is that I forgt that thaey even made a coil over kit

I understand your point about the upper mount, but when you consider that all if it is going in to the top of the shock tower than all are thicker than stock. IMHO I would say of the 3 kits the Globel west is the strongest, not saying the others are week or even insufuishent just saying that if you where going to compare the three the Globel west would be the toughests. With that said I really like the TCP kit for a couple of reasons. I think they have a really good over all design and the strut rod mount is superior to most. Also I like how the alignment can be adjusted with out shims when using the TCP set up so if I was buying one for mar car I would rank them:
TCP
Global West
Ron Morris

The system I am building for my car is looslly based off of all three with the adjustments in the UCA like the TCP units.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Chicago1965

Thanks alot you guys. I think I am going to do it myself now. I have been reading alot of "Mustang II vs. Original" debates and I think I am going to stick to the original and then that way I can avoid the cutting and welding since that is beyond me. Hey Daze...I really love your site and the instructions you provide. Do any of you know of someone who has installed the TCP system? I would love some feedback specific to that system.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The reason i bring up the top mount is im just scared it would let the sturt push the mount through the shock tower or am i over reacting.If you don't go with a irs id look at http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCa...333d3e8246fe8d or griggsracing 3 link you have to weld it in tho.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
69boss429
2nd Gear Member

If you want to keep it simple contact this company for your suspension pieces:

Then put in a TCP rack and pinion.
As far as the drivetrain,there are plenty of ways to boost the power on a 302,and coupled with a 5 speed trans,4 wheel disc brakes and some fat radials you will have all the fun you can handle.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

The reason i bring up the top mount is im just scared it would let the sturt push the mount through the shock tower or am i over reacting.
I agree that that the mount needs to be strong and I am not as fond of there through the top mount as mounts that fit in from the bottom like the original coil spring, however sense a piece fits in from the underside and is bolted to the top, the mount is not going any where. One thing I know about TCP is that they spend a ton of time testing there products before they are released to the public and I believe they were the first to the market with a coil over kit SOOOO I think the mount has proven it self and when properly installed you should not have any problems with failure, but I do agree that Globel west has a better mount design.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:17 PM
hhiibel

spending $25K depends on whats going to give you the most enjoyment. If handling is the biggest concern then you could dump it all there. Unless you want all out best handling, then I'd keep the original suspension and modify it. Look at www.cobraautomotive.com. I'd then put money into brakes, engine and exhaust.

So here's my DIY scenario: negative wedge kit, box the upper and lower control arms(and I mean really box them). TCP struts or use 67-68 cougar struts. 1.25 solid sway bar, cobra automotive bump steer, poly urethane everything, maybe cobra automotive rollerized spring perches, beef up the spring boxes(or whatever they're called - see cobra automotive cut down version allowing for bigger front tires). Export brace. Front springs, mustangsplus grab-a-tracs, or order customs from that German company(what's its name). Rear leafs are a tough call - you want flatter and lighter spring's as possible the biggest factor is rear seat passengers or not, probalby a 3-3.5 mideye or reverse eye from mustangsplus. See CobraAuto for slide a links, but you can get them cheaper out of summit, 7/8 rear sway, Caltracs.

Brakes - OEM front GT disk calipers(you'll need OEM disk spindles also), dual resevoir(sp) conversion, maybe convert to a late model mustang hydroboost(if pwr steering), grenade/verseille(sp) conversion for the rears - really look into this before forking over the bucks for SSBC kits. I wish I'd done the verseille conversion because it's a 4pistion caliper as opposed to SSBC's rear kit that is a single piston caliper(essentially a 84 thunderbird rear caliper). But verseille will require going to a ford 9" - I think.

Engine mods - your call.
Transmission - manual or auto you'll need an overdrive of some sort to avoid turning 10bazillion rpms at freeway speeds.

or just make it look like this:
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/tcp/
Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Chicago1965

Thanks hhiibel. I am looking at some of the products you recommended ans will look at the others you suggested too. I am leaning towards TCP front coil over, TCP rack and pinion, TCP chassis stiffener, and CTM IRS. I will put discs all around...probably 13" in front and 12" in rear. Since I am going to be doing it myself now, that will free up money for engine and transmission. I am putting it all together into a list and then will have you guys look it over for suggestions. The more I research, the more I see the various bolt on options and reduced complexity for install.