Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

E-Stang Build Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sailfish11
It's fairly offset as you can see from this photo:

I'm not sure what I have up front is too light -- nor am I sure exactly what I have up there suspension-wise. The car had several suspension upgrades when I bought it and the guy did them over 20 years ago -- he couldn't even tell me exactly what was on there. I can tell the UCA is not stock (it's tubular -- maybe Global West?) and it's very possible the springs in it now are not stock either. He was planning on putting in a 351 Clev so the springs that are in there now may be heavy-duty.

The motor weighs about 250 lbs and there's 58 batteries, each weighing about 5.5 lbs. that's a total of about 870 lbs. That's way more than the 289 that originally came in there. I removed a bunch of other things, but still, it's got to weigh more now than it did stock.

I've just got too many variables and unknowns. I think I'm going to want those 620 springs -- I may need to cut them down a bit, but I'm worried if I go too light I'll be bottoming out.
I agree that the total weight you have is more then your average Ford small block. I didn't think all of that weight was in the front though, since half your batteries are in the rear.

As for the rear. It looks like the factory trunk floor was not really modified. That offset looks like the same as the gas tank. Are there batteries under that generator looking apparatus too? What is that by the way?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-16-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:58 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I just got a look at the car with the suspension. It looks MUCH better. I'll try to take some pictures later, but the front is slightly lower than the rear -- exactly what I wanted.

So we went with the 620 1" drop springs, and cut about 2" off to begin with. That seems to have done the trick. We'll see what it looks like after a couple weeks of driving, but for now at least, I couldn't be happier.

I'm also curious to see how it handles. I could have taken the car today, but I told them to remove the air shocks and put the old gas ones back on. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow, then I'll let you all know how it rides.
I'm glad it sits good now. Got a pic?

For some reason I was thinking the front end weight was less than stock. Even though it sits nicely, it could possibly still be a tad on the stiff side.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-16-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Here's a couple pics of how it sits now:

I'll have to drive it around a while to see how it settles, but for now I'm pretty happy with the look.

The batteries are distributed with about 60% in the front, 40% in the rear. The thing to the right of the batteries in the trunk is the on-board charger. There's no batteries underneath it, so most of the weight is on the driver's side.

We ended up putting spacers on the rear passenger side to lower it about 1/2" and that seems to have done the trick (again, we'll have to see how it settles).

The shop said they left the air shocks in there but took all the air out, which they said makes them act the same as regular gas shocks. Does that sound right to you guys?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I love how the car is sitting, looks great.

More importantly, I'm very impressed with how you've persevered through all the hardships with the original conversion outfit/person. I know it would have been easy to give up, but you kept at it. You've now got a truly awesome ride. Really great job, awesome ride.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Here's a couple pics of how it sits now:

I'll have to drive it around a while to see how it settles, but for now I'm pretty happy with the look.

The batteries are distributed with about 60% in the front, 40% in the rear. The thing to the right of the batteries in the trunk is the on-board charger. There's no batteries underneath it, so most of the weight is on the driver's side.

We ended up putting spacers on the rear passenger side to lower it about 1/2" and that seems to have done the trick (again, we'll have to see how it settles).

The shop said they left the air shocks in there but took all the air out, which they said makes them act the same as regular gas shocks. Does that sound right to you guys?
That ride height does look nice. I like it.

Where exactly did you put the spacers on the rear, between the spring and the perches?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

The spacer goes between the axle and the leaf springs:

So now there are two issues I'm struggling with. First is the steering. Although the suspension upgrades definitely made a difference (the ride is pretty nice now), the steering is still loose. I've got about 10 degrees of slop in the steering wheel. Not a huge deal or a safety issue, but still, it's just not right.

Perhaps a steering box rebuild would help? Anyone have suggestions?

The second issue is that I just discovered the rear window is broken. Not the glass, but the silicone strip that serves as a 'hinge' for the two sections of glass. It's deteriorated and now the two sections are completely separate.

The top (and rear glass) came with the car. It was still in the box; I had a local shop install it. But the top itself is probably 20 years old. I guess the silicone just disintegrated.

I hope I don't have to buy (and install) a whole new rear window -- does anyone know if there's a repair kit out there? Any help?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I don't know about the glass but the steering box rebuild is pretty easy and kinda fun. I rebuilt mine just because it was out, but it feels tighter now. However, my car is not yet on the road.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
I don't know about the glass but the steering box rebuild is pretty easy and kinda fun. I rebuilt mine just because it was out, but it feels tighter now. However, my car is not yet on the road.
Did you replace parts -- or just take it apart, repack it with grease and put it back together?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I bought a rebuild kit on-line. I can't remember who from, but there are only a couple of places that had kits. Let me know if I need to dig out the receipt.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

hey any updates?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-Stang Build Thread