Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

E-Stang Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Well, I've got a little over 400 EV miles on the car (mostly back and forth from work). Here's my thoughts so far.

EV System:

Acceleration is good -- as long as I'm on level ground and the batteries are fresh. The drive system has some trouble with hills. Nothing I can't climb, but acceleration goes south really fast when going uphill.

Performance drops off quickly as the batteries deplete. To 'protect' the batteries, the motor controller starts to limit the current I can draw once the pack voltage goes below a certain point. To accelerate normally and/or go above 40 mph, I need to draw about 80 amps. The system will let me do that for the first ~4-5 miles. After that, the controller starts limiting me to 60 amps. It stays there for a long time. Only once have I driven it to the point where it started limiting it further (I drove it about 15 miles to a place to install the convertible top; left it there for two weeks; and drove it back). For the last few miles of that trip it starting limiting me to 40 amps and I was REALLY pissing off the people behind me in traffic!

The charger doesn't seem to want to trickle charge. It charges the car just fine, but once fully charged, it won't maintain. The batteries start to deplete again -- even if I keep it plugged in.

These all seem like software issues. It might be possible for me to change the controller parameters. Of course, I need to be sure not to damage the batteries.

Mustang:

The restoration is going slowly due to me not having any spare time. My priorities have been to get it weather proof. When I started, only the passenger door window and the driver front vent window were installed. I've slowly gotten both door and vent windows in and working. It's surprising how little info there is available on how to fix windows! I've got two restoration manuals and the Ford Shop Manual and none of them have instructions. The Shop Manual at least has diagrams, so I've used that. Online, Avg Joe has some good videos, but their for a 67, which is similar but not quite the same.

I just got the passenger rear quarter window in yesterday and I'll work on the driver's side today. One problem -- the pass. vent window won't go all the way down -- about 1" sticks up (like a little shark fin). Has anyone else had that problem? Any fixes?

Once I've got the windows in, before I feel completely comfortable driving in the rain, there's a couple more things I need to do. I'm concerned about water getting into the engine compartment with all the high voltage in there. I installed a belly pan to protect from underneath and a shield in the grill. But there's nothing to keep water from coming in around the edge of the hood. I bought some weather strip (like you might get for around doors or windows) from Home Depot. I'm going to put that around the engine compartment edge and hope that it channels any water away.

The steering is still sloppy. Not a huge deal, but I'll have to address that at some point.

Other safety issues:
Need to install: seat belts, front blinkers, backup lights, and side mirrors.
When I fix the steering, I'll install a collapsible steering column

Of course, the next thing I'll probably work on will be the stereo.

Last edited by sailfish11; 11-13-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

the quarter window is easy. Just work some wd-40 in the slides and pivot points until the window rolls down all the way. As long as there aren't any broken rollers or bent arms then it's just a matter of lubing her up.

Are you still installing power windows?

you can buy weather stripping kits from places like mustangs unlimited and mustang depot. Anything from full kits with weatherstripping for every part of the car down to single pieces.

if your steering is sloppy, chances are you may have to replace a suspension part or two. Stuff like ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, etc. can cause loose steering if they're worn out. I would check all that stuff out before you go replacing your steering box. Just get under the car and give everything a good shake and see if it feels loose.

really cool project though. I've given stuff like this a lot of thought, but I'm just waiting for the tech to become more realistic $$ wise, which as long as gasoline is a big money industry... I think I've got a ways to wait.

Adding a small generator would be a great addition and I can't imagine it being too difficult to do.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

My quarter window problem is not that easy. It's lubed fine (used plenty of grease and white lithium while installing it). The problem is it runs out of track before rolling all the way down. It's the horizontal track (attached to the window assembly) that's hitting its limit.

I've checked (and adjusted) that bottom stops -- it's not that. It just runs out of track.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

My quarter window problem is not that easy. It's lubed fine (used plenty of grease and white lithium while installing it). The problem is it runs out of track before rolling all the way down. It's the horizontal track (attached to the window assembly) that's hitting its limit.

I've checked (and adjusted) the bottom stops -- it's not that. It just runs out of track.

I'm still going to install power windows, but not for a while. Maybe next summer.

For the steering, I've already replaced most of the front suspension and upgraded to a roller idler arm. Everything's pretty solid up there; I've just got about a 10 degree play/slop in the steering.

For the generator -- that's something I've thought about doing down the road. It wouldn't be a 'small' generator though -- it would need to be pretty powerful. I'll probably have to wait for battery technology to improve to the point where I can get decent range with just the front pack. Then I can use the space where the rear pack is for the generator.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

well for the window problem, it sounds like it wasn't designed to roll down all the way maybe? Maybe someone with a 65 can chime in on this one. my rear windows don't have any horizontal track.

as far as the steering goes I would just buy a new unit if you're looking to completely eliminate all slop in the steering. I've never been successful with that on my 70, but I haven't replaced all my suspension/steering parts at once either.

would it be possible to incorporate a generator off of an existing hybrid? I'm deffinitely no expert on hybrid vehicles but I was under the impression that these weren't that large demension-wise.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Well, it turns out the window issue was that I had installed one of the roller guides incorrectly. Now it rolls down fine.

I had the alignment done and they said it was WAAY out of alignment. Good thing I only had 400 miles because they said I was ruining my (new and expensive) tires. They aligned it as best they could, but said it's still not perfect (I guess they hit some physical limits). The car actually rides a bit worse now, in that it 'floats' more than it used to.

They agreed the steering box was pretty worn out and needed to be replaced or rebuilt. They don't do that work, but I remember seeing somewhere that there's a guy that will rebuild them if you send him the box.

I could just get a rack and pinion kit, but that's crazy expensive and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. Besides, with the other steering/suspension upgrades I've already made, it should be pretty good with a new box.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Default I'm Back

After a few years off the air, I thought I'd provide an update on the E-Stang. A lot has happened since my last post. I moved to Milwaukee for a couple years, then to San Diego. Also, my son was born in mid-2011 and he obviously takes a lot of my attention (and free time).

I've been continuing to plug away however and have made several improvements. Here's the car now:

I've made some improvements to the electric drive to get it moving better, but still have work to do in that area. I've found a few local resources here in California to help out, and I'm still getting help and advice from Brink, the guy in NY that helped bring the car back to life several years ago.

For the restoration, I've replaced the seats and several interior pieces to make the car look and feel better. As you can see from the photo, I also just got it painted. So it's starting to look less like a rat rod and more like a classic Mustang.

Last edited by sailfish11; 06-05-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Gun Jam

Cool man!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 AM
ttoney
2nd Gear Member

Sweet, keep the updates coming!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 PM
motormitch

Originally Posted by sailfish11
After a few years off the air, I thought I'd provide an update on the E-Stang. A lot has happened since my last post. I moved to Milwaukee for a couple years, then to San Diego. Also, my son was born in mid-2011 and he obviously takes a lot of my attention (and free time).

I've been continuing to plug away however and have made several improvements. Here's the car now:

I've made some improvements to the electric drive to get it moving better, but still have work to do in that area. I've found a few local resources here in California to help out, and I'm still getting help and advice from Brink, the guy in NY that helped bring the car back to life several years ago.

For the restoration, I've replaced the seats and several interior pieces to make the car look and feel better. As you can see from the photo, I also just got it painted. So it's starting to look less like a rat rod and more like a classic Mustang.
Sailfish11, I just started a thread on the first electric vintage muscle car conversion that my business is doing. I take my hat off to you for doing this idea in 2009. Wow, you were ahead of the game on us!

Anyway, as someone who has gone through a similar process, please feel free to check out our thread and share any insights you might have.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...scle-cars.html

Mitch

Quick Reply: E-Stang Build Thread