Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Granada vs Mustang spindles

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by degins
We now offer the SN95 type 2 piston aluminum caliper based system that includes a 1.025" thick rotor. It bolts onto Granada spindles.
And it is an awesome kit! I am very happy with the upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Granada vs Mustang spindles-csrp-pbr.jpg   Granada vs Mustang spindles-csrp-sn95.jpg  

Last edited by chris66dad; 11-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
ccr

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I can't believe how many thread there are on various sites about this topic but I still can't find one simple answer. On a stock V8 powered mustang 65/66 what is the advantage of going to a Granada spindle, if any? I'd like to keep cost out of this discussion for now.
The stock 4 piston 65/66 brakes are actually superior to the single piston Granada brakes for the same reason people are putting 2 piston SN95 calipers on Granada spindles. Two piston calipers are better than one piston, but four piston calipers are better than both because or more clamping pressure and a better clamping pressure balance. People argue about the advantage of the larger Granada wheel bearings, but the 65/66 Mustang wheel bearings are the same size as Camaros, Chevelles, GTO's, 442's, RoadRunners, Chargers, etc, etc, so oviously they are not inadaquate as some would lead you to believe. If there are any disadvantage to the stock brakes or the Granada brakes it would be both's 11" rotor size. However, larger brakes will only work on something larger than 15" wheels. I have 17" wheels with 13" rotors and 4 piston monoblock radial mount calipers.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I can't believe how many thread there are on various sites about this topic but I still can't find one simple answer. On a stock V8 powered mustang 65/66 what is the advantage of going to a Granada spindle, if any? I'd like to keep cost out of this discussion for now.
Absolutely ZERO advantage. The Gain, No Gain is totally in the negative. The Granada brakes of any sort, is a inferior setup compared to the original K/H system or Single piston 68-73 Brakes with Bigger rotors, and Exact fit.

The Retrofit, I Made this part to fit that is nothing but a sales issue used to sell Folks a Cheap made brake system that is "New on the Market" Exciting, etc.

Unfortunitly there are Folks that believe this.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
ccr

Originally Posted by chockostang
Absolutely ZERO advantage. The Gain, No Gain is totally in the negative. The Granada brakes of any sort, is a inferior setup compared to the original K/H system or Single piston 68-73 Brakes with Bigger rotors, and Exact fit.

The Retrofit, I Made this part to fit that is nothing but a sales issue used to sell Folks a Cheap made brake system that is "New on the Market" Exciting, etc.

Dan @ Chockostang
Yes, I think someone tested that one time and discovered that the big ol' 11.2inch stock brakes stopped the car about a 1/4" shorter from 200 mph than the tiny 11" Granada brakes did! Amazing! I agree with you bro, I see no advantages to the Granada brake swap at all. However, we need to keep things honest here and be careful that we don't sacrifice or integrity to expose our prejudices. Ain't worth it.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang

Dan @ Chockostang
I suspect your opinion would be different if you had these other systems to sell. Your "one trick pony" strategy is not in the best interest of our customers or industry. In addition, your "cheap" comments are desperate and dishonest.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I'll leave the bickering between the 2 players here out, justs add more BS onto what can be complicated to many people.

I spent almost an hour with Dan today on the phone, the answers I couldn't get from the various boards I got from him (or lack there of when it come to changing out my V8 spindles). The answers I did get from the board were confirmed by him. In addition to the brake discussion he took the time to talk about steering and suspension even though he'll never make a dime on those parts. He's been around this stuff for a very long time, you can tell he's old school and knows what works. He's earned my business.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

I think the "new" SN95 kit from CSRP is great product.

My experience with the new kit is that it stops even better now. I did not want to go 18 inch wheels and 13 inch rotors or pay the big bucks for it. I believe the SN95 PBR caliper kit are filling the performance "space" between the KH kit and the the Cobra set up.

The PBR set up has been a long popular upgrade in the Fox Mustang crowd for improving performance. I also think modern brakes have improved over the late 60's technology so the argument that original is best, is not accurate.

I need to give props to Dennis at CSRP for also being helpful and having great handle on braking systems. Before I did business with him I researched MANY forums and have not found any unhappy customers. He has earned my respect and I will continue to be a supporter of his "5 star" parts and support.

Just my experience and 2 cents
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

The original 40 year old KH is fixed caliper 4 piston just like many wilwood high performance units. The main disadvantage is the weight. Aluminum is lighter but less durable. SS pistons available on both. More expensive versions include thermal barriers, 6 piston, Variable sized pistons, etc; but typical designs are very similar.

I prefer 40 year old 4 piston fixed caliper than 2 piston floating caliper even if it was designed yesterday.

I've driven plenty of 2 piston cars and they work fine. Given a choice I would pick 4 piston.

For manual discs you want as much piston area as possible to minimize pedal effort.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM
MURDACH

OK OK OK ,,, I WANT TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE.
I HAVE GRANADA BRAKES NOW.. WANT A 4 PISTON CALIPER AND GO