Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

body dropping

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Forgive me if you have already heard this. I am not about to read through this whole thread tonight cuz im tired.

You will need to do the mustangII front end. And yes airride will work.

as far as wheels you may be able to get 20's on the rear but they will only be able to be 8"s wide, you will free up the rear options if you tub it. You will be limited with the front. I dont think that you will be able to go bigger than 18" even if you 6"'s wide.which will need to be custom made. good thing is more companies can do custom wheels for better prices than ever before.
i am curious what the end result would be. I think it would look good for a couple years but after that it would be dated and look silly.

custom is good though. get out your torch and start cutting. post a lot of pics though.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 AM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

stangtjk do you happen to have more pics of that car? sitting that low would be fine with me but a couple of questions about doing it that way, does it take the whole front suspension off the mark II and just weld right onto my car? if so what do i need to do about the air ride on it, or would it be the same style as what comes with the kit, i dont mind welding something to make it work or ordering a differnt bag for it. also disc brakes if i do take the front end off a mark II, with nme wanting the disc brake kit on my car will i still be able to do it, and what i mean by that is i dont see too many mark II's rolling aorund with cross drilled and slotted rotors..... which i guess if anyone on here has done a mark II or mark III conversion then i should be asking them to give some input on this.

also on the mustang II conversion. i guess alot of the same questions, i know that they sell kits for the mustang II that has the brake kit and everything with it, and that has the air ride option as well, but will it get as low as the one the stangtjk posted..... and i may be wrong about them selling a kit with the conversions with it but it seems like thats what it said.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I think I my have confused you with the talk about the Mark stuff. This mustang has a Mustang II front suspension with air ride. This is a picture at ride height, the previous photo was dropped as low as it would go. The only thing this guy did concerning the suspension other than whats listed above was mini tub the rear. I'm not sure what kind of controller he is using but I believe he is running shock waves in the front and rear. Here is a link to his site http://hotrodtransformations.com/67%20mustang.html.

With regards to the Mark suspension, I used everything from a Mark VIII however this is a pretty major undertaking so I doubt its the route you'll want to take. Here is the link to my build https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...condensed.html The floors, frame, and front end of my car were completely built from scratch to allow the Mark VIII k-member and IRS cradle to be bolted on. I'm using the rest of the drive train from the Mark VIII as well so the air suspension on my car will be controlled just as it was in the Mark VIII with the stock computer. My ride height will be the same a the car above and I'll be able to drop it for show or raise it for rough roads or speed bumps. I think I can very the height 5 or 6" using the Mark VIII stuff. The bottom of this page shows the ammount of travel available on a Mark VIII http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/reservesystem.htm.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

A lot of places offer the complete Mustang II suspension with disc brakes and shockwaves. Here is one I found with a quick google search http://nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=FMS310P

The reason I used the Mark VIII stuff is because I've got more time than money. My whole build will cost less than just the kit above but it takes alot of fab work.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

wow man thank you so much for the links, i a mvery sure these will help me in my build, i really appreciate it, i may still have a few questions as i go along with it though.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

and i didnt realize that was your build, i looked at it a couple times, cool looking hood btw, i like things like that, that are custom made, especially since nobody else will have one like it, that makes it more unique to you and your car, ive always said your car is a representation of yourself.