Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rocker molding ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:36 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Default Rocker molding ?

At the moment my rocker molding is off on both sides because I had to take the front fenders off.

I was considering buying new ones because mine look a little crappy and old, but then I priced them before paying the "over sized" shipping and decided maybe some other time.

I was thinking about using some steel wool to clean them up a bit. But there are sections that are painted black that I think would seriously benefit from being repainted.

The question I have is what sort of paint can I use on these that will stay for a while and not flake off?

Painting with a brush or a sponge would probably be easier then trying to tape them off....
Old 05-28-2009, 03:52 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I've got two new ones I don't need. Let me check on the shipping cost this afternoon. I'll give them to you for free.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

At the moment my rocker molding is off on both sides because I had to take the front fenders off.

I was thinking about using some steel wool to clean them up a bit. But there are sections that are painted black that I think would seriously benefit from being repainted.
The mouldings are anodized aluminum, steel wool will destroy the finish, then you will need new ones.

The question I have is what sort of paint can I use on these that will stay for a while and not flake off?
Oddly, Krylon Semi-gloss black is not half bad, and you can find it anywhere.

Painting with a brush or a sponge would probably be easier then trying to tape them off....
Nope. The time you save by not taping them is lost cleaning up the mess from trying to do a wiped finish. Use 1/4" finish or masking tape, it'll take less than half an hour for both.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
I've got two new ones I don't need. Let me check on the shipping cost this afternoon. I'll give them to you for free.

That would be really cool...I am more than happy to pay you something more than just the shipping for them.

Just let me know.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Shipping place said about $30. That won't break me so don't worry about it. One of them has a little bend but I think if you place it face down and press on the inside with your thumb you can probably straighten it out. Worth a try. I have one more day of vacation tomorrow. I'll send them out then.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe

I think your car would look twice as good with the moldings on it. Why did you decide not to put them on?

Thats nice of you to give them away for free.

I cleaned mine up and repainted the black part with krylon like 2+2 did. They look decent but don't look nearly as good as new ones. The aluminum is stained and won't clean up well and the black pain is already starting to come off. I am probably going to get new ones for mine sometime soon.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 05-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I think your car would look twice as good with the moldings on it. Why did you decide not to put them on?

Thats nice of you to give them away for free.

I cleaned mine up and repainted the black part with krylon like 2+2 did. They look decent but don't look nearly as good as new ones. The aluminum is stained and won't clean up well and the black pain is already starting to come off. I am probably going to get new ones for mine sometime soon.
This car did not have them originally and my goal with this car was to have it look like it did in 1965. I got the moldings from a guy with a 66 who gave me bunches of stuff, so I didn't pay for them either.