Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Floor Pans.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Newstang64.5

Default Floor Pans.

I recently tore out my carpet, in anticipation of replacing it, but found out my floors are rusted though. I am just curious if anyone as a ball park idea of how much it will cost to replace the whole floor. I can get the whole pan for 650. Just at an auto body shop.. ROUGHLY I know this is a hard question
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Newstang64.5
I recently tore out my carpet, in anticipation of replacing it, but found out my floors are rusted though. I am just curious if anyone as a ball park idea of how much it will cost to replace the whole floor. I can get the whole pan for 650. Just at an auto body shop.. ROUGHLY I know this is a hard question
Before you go and buy pans, find a shop and ask. Those who show up at my shop with their own parts get shown the door, but that's just me. Now, if someone talks to me first hand, sometimes we can work things out as long as I know they are using a good parts source. Just a heads up - not all shops allow walk in parts as some of us take more pride in what we do.

Beyond that, it's also up to each shop to set their price. One might think it's a 5 hour job and the next may guesstimate 15. Any ballpark pricing here won't be a lot of help, but I'd expect 10-15 hours as a wild guess.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 AM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

Are the floors completly gone? You may not need the entire floor replaced if not. I agree with KMatch though. Take it to a shop and let them bid it. They may be able to do a very good job replacing just what they need to for almost, or a little more than, what you are paying for the floor. I did my floor pans (just left and right not the entire floor) and had about 12-15 hours in it. At 60 bucks an hour that is around 700-900 bucks labor. I am probably low on the 60 bucks too.....
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Instead of replacing the whole floor, I went with the long pans for each side. Honestly, I probably could have gotten by with just the short front pans. The "hump" in the middle was totally fine on my car.

Cost is anybody's guess. I spoke with one local "hot rod" shop that wanted some crazy amount of money pushing $3,000. I laughed at the guy and told him he was out of his bleeping mind but I think he wanted to take a swing at me when I was getting in the car.

A normal insurance claim chasing type body shop probably won't be interested and if they are you had better be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. They see a classic coming in that they know is not your daily driver the odds are better than average they will keep bumping down the priority list.

I met a buddy of mine through the local car club that runs a restoration shop and he only wanted $800 to do both full length floor pans. Actually, it worked out also that I could take a couple of days off and he was cool with me coming over and doing a lot of it myself. I still paid him the full price plus another $50 but I did get to learn to weld out of the deal and he helped me with a few other things while it was there that were not necessarily in the quoted price.

If there is no one worth a hoot in your area, you might consider doing it yourself. It really isn't "that hard" and I was going to learn to do it myself if the best local quote I could find was $3,000. I was really blessed to find a friend that runs a restoration shop however.....

Here's a picture of mine after the pans were in and before we put in the new carpet.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
stanglane

had both full length floor pans installed in my 72 convertible. He charged 300 for each pan and he had to patch some rust thru on the rockers. Total labor was 750 and the pans cost me about 200. You should find out what gauge the pans are before you buy. Got mine at mustang unlimited because they were a heavier gauge then npd. Might want to consider new front floor supports if needed. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 PM
voipguy

I had front and rear short pans installed on my '65. I had to supply the parts and it was ~$500 for the labor.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I think including the parts my floor pans were around 1000 something to do. I wish I had learned how to weld because there were a lot of problems with my car I wish I could have done myself.

Here's my body shops work, the seat pans were reused.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:18 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

One thing to consider is taking it to a shop familiar with Mustangs. Otherwise, you may end up paying for them to lean Mustang- specific repair. The local Mustang club can help you with that.

You also need to take a close look at the cowl. Usually the floor gets wet from leaks in the cowl.

Here's a one-piece floor, the way Ford did it:

Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
AscolA
2nd Gear Member

Were are you located? I just got my floor pans done. I live in Mass, and there is a new hot rod shop that just started up. The owner is a great guy and charges $30 an hour not including parts. He did an awesome job on my mustang and was upfront about everything.

Here's is site: www.tnthotrods.com

If you go to the image gallery section, my car is the 68 Mustang.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AscolA
Were are you located? I just got my floor pans done. I live in Mass, and there is a new hot rod shop that just started up. The owner is a great guy and charges $30 an hour not including parts. He did an awesome job on my mustang and was upfront about everything.

$30 / hour is a really good rate. My buddy charges $50 and I know a lot of local places around here charge $60 or more.

I found it cheaper to learn to do the work yourself however. I am starting to put my car back together after cutting out the fender apron, battery tray and radiator support. It wasn't that hard to replace, just took a good deal of time. Would have cost between $500 and a $1,000 to have my buddy do it. Instead, I got it done for a couple of hundred by the time I purchased the replacement metal, bought some other misc. parts and supplies and bought a used mig welder, bought a sheet metal punch, etc, etc.

+1 on finding someone that has a clue about classic Mustangs. My friend's shop does all sorts of old cars but he personally owns a '65 coupe and has done work on a bunch of classic Mustangs in the past.