Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

trans issues; please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM
00Silv4.8

Originally Posted by JMD
Well youu should get your dad to fix it up then....

I was reading between the lines and figured the car had been sitting somewhere for a while, 3 months is a while no?

I wonder how much of that 6 quarts leaked out in those 3 months?

I understand that you put a quart and a half in and it "showed on the stick", but if the pump was empty, (no prime) it was likely not pumping out, so, fluid shows on the stick, but the pump ain't pumpin... (and better than 1/2 the tranny is EMPTY, while the stick shows full)

Thumpin gave you a very good fill procedure, might want to take the advise before you call AAMCO...

It MIGHT be something else, like a lip seal, but I am trying to imagine what might have happened to the car in the threee months it was parked that the tranny stopped working, my guess is that the MOST LIKELY thing is that the FLUID LEAKED OUT,,, just a guess....

Try adding some fluid, buy the cheap stuff...
I will be doing the work on the car myself, if not with her so she can get a good idea of what to do. Shes learning quickly and still very interested in rebuilding the car.
Your saying theres no "prime" wouldnt starting the car start pumping the pump... or "priming" it? Im trying to figure how you're trying to prove that the pump is still good if its not sucking fluid? if its just showing on the stick but the pump isnt getting any... wouldnt the pump be bad?
And btw, AAMCO? really? thats about as bad as putting champion plugs in a lawnmower.
The car hasnt leaked any fluid out, there isnt a stain on the driveway and the trans never seeped any since the pan gasket was just replaced before more fluid was put in.
Originally Posted by Randys66gt
OK, from the new info you gave us, now we know the seals in the pump are rotten, let's find out what trans! Along with the stuff I already gave you, how many pan bolts are there? A C-4 and C-5 will have 11 bolts, a FMX will have 14, and the C-6 has 17. Those are the only trannys that will bolt directly up without an adapter. (In a 3 speed trans I meant.) We can only try to help but if we do not know the info, it makes it harder on us and then you get upset. Had to deal with that at work and it was hard. The worse was "why did the bolts strip out when I torqued the valve body down?"
Bolts in the pan.. She said something like 18. Pulled up the picture of the C6 pan, and she said its the same shape, and with 17 bolts thats probably it. It could be an FMX, Again I dont have huge amounts of experience with the car and havent even seen it from the bottom other than its a rust bucket sadly.
She did the pan gasket and filter change. I have faith in her that they werent over tightened and more than not they definitely werent loose.
When you guys start throwing out **** that is hardly related to the issues its having its a little hard to get frustrated. I apologize. Im sorry you used to work with retards, she lived with one for a period of time that would give all sorts of dumb *** ideas because "hes an ASE certified mechanic at BIG O TIRES......."

Anyway, So far were led to believe its the pump and or a lip seal closely related. Unsure if the pump is sucking in fluid but at the moment it would seem the pump isnt sucking fluid. I would still think the pump wouldnt just go out since the car moved like a champ months prior.
Also 3 months is an estimate, it could be a little longer. Its not over 6 months but definitely longer than it probably should've set haha
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

One easy way to check if the pump is working is to take off one of the tranny cooler lines. Be careful, it should squirt about 15 feet. One GREAT book to get is the Haynes Transmissions Manual, not because I'm in it, cuz it is a good reference. We worked hard on it for the Ford and GM trannys. Really good pics and details and if there is anything else, we're here. Let us know. I'm not upset with you!!!! I used to get a lot of weird tech calls asking about dumb stuff like that torque on valve bodies or why they couldn't use one converter over another. It was just typical stuff and don't have to worry about it now. I like being retired!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 AM
00Silv4.8

Thanks for the help. We just might have to test that to rule out the pump.