Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Does a carb spacer really help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default Does a carb spacer really help

i added a 1" to my set up. at the same time i also added octane booster. I am not sure which of the two made a diff but it was really noticable.

However, it ended up hitting my hood. so i removed it. I am going add a 351 scoop and cut out the hood so it will clear in the future, but does it really make a big diff?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

It terms of what?

It did a huge difference for me in terms of heat dissapation so my fuel NEVER boils over in the summer. And you living in arizona would have this problem way more than californias 105 degree summer days. I can start my car on a 105 degree day without it dying.

As for performance wise I noticed maybe a little bit of difference in peddle responsiveness but it might have just been all in my hand

I had to trim my air cleaner riser and my air cleaner wingnut to make everything fit.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Oh yeah. Improves low-mid rpm throttle response. You don't think Ford was spending money on stuff that did nothing? They switched to Cougar reflectors in mid-68 to save a few pennies.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Gun Jam

which spacers are you guys running?
can you link me to your favorite one??

Thanks

-Gun
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

phenolic 1" spacer worked wonders for me and friend of mine.
my problem was after car switch off fuel would vaporize, carb would get really hot and very hard to start. my buddies carb got so hot in idle just standing there that the car cut out.

I bought that one from summit. comes with studs (the right size) and bolts. I just bought 2 gaskets with it. the lower one i left completely open and the top one to match the 4 holes
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8711/
(the two gaskets actually show op on right hand side).
Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
phenolic 1" spacer worked wonders for me and friend of mine.
my problem was after car switch off fuel would vaporize, carb would get really hot and very hard to start. my buddies carb got so hot in idle just standing there that the car cut out.

I bought that one from summit. comes with studs (the right size) and bolts. I just bought 2 gaskets with it. the lower one i left completely open and the top one to match the 4 holes
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8711/
(the two gaskets actually show op on right hand side).
I run the same exactly carb spacer he described and also experienced the same exact problem his buddy was having which is now fixed.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Spacers also add plenum volume and can affect mixture distribution. It is also possible for a spacer to increase the flow that the engine actually sees, since this depends on more than just the carb rating.

The best spacers are the tapered ones. Apparently they're good enough that some racing organizations have outlawed them for some classes (in circle track racing, I think, but don't hold me to it).

Very approximately, a tapered spacer goes from being a four hole spacer at the top (carb base) to an open or nearly open spacer at the bottom (manifold). There's more explanation at the bottom of this page. Like any other piece of advertising, I wouldn't place much importance on the numerical claim ("as much as 110 cfm" in this case), since you don't know the circumstances under which that was observed (and I highly doubt that their 110 cfm gain was measured with a 600-ish cfm carb on a 289/302 with OE heads).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-18-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
orange88
1st Gear Member

Dumb question, 2+2 what is a cougar reflector?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A mirror in front of an older single woman?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Gun Jam

-Norm

thanks for the info I wonder if I can find that in phenolic or is there a reason they are made from Al? I wonder If that one would fit a Carter AFB 600???

Thanks again guys!

-Gun

Quick Reply: Does a carb spacer really help