Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rattle can on the interior dash and doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I tried some Rainbow Industries interior paint from a mustang store and it s*cked big time. The stuff I finally used was "Accumatch" Interior paint. Turned out nice. I think I got it from cjpony, but not sure. L-5748 for 65 pony or 66-69's Metallic Lt blue.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

Well... I broke down...

Stopped at one of the paint shops today that I have been to a couple times. They're working on a 69 fastback and it looks phenomenol. He showed me some pix of another car they worked on when they did the undercarriage and it looked brand new afterwards.

I ended up ordering the works.

-Interior doors and dash stripped, primed and painted black
-Undercarriage power washed, scrapped, power washed and scrapped again to remove all road gunk and grease.
-3M Undercarriage Body Schutz applied (will be the natural flat black protectant)
-Rearend stripped and painted semi-gloss black
-All suspension up front and anything metal near the engine underneath painted semi-gloss black (all linkages, steering components, braces etc.)
-Inside all fenders stripped, power washed and Body Schutz and Paint applied too.

They wanted $1,280 and we settled on $900. Like I said, I broke down!

Overall it's about $250 in supplies. Since I don't have a power washer, lift, and the patience to do it (masking, painting, and maybe realizing I hate the outcome), I decided I deserved a break from all the times I save a buck doing things myself.

They got the car this afternoon, should be done Wednesday.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Gun Jam

well do post pics when its done!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

TO get the texture back (it is embossed in the metal) you will need to chemically strip the old paint. Chances are the texture is 100% under the layers of paint.

In any case from the way it sounds you are going to need to fairly extensively sand the previous owners attempt at trying to "texture" the panels in order to get acceptable results, so if it were my car I would strip it with aircraft remover.

When we stripped the inside of the 66 the old paint lifted quick, easy, and FAST. The factory paint was not very resistant of the stripper.

>> nevermind! >> (edit)

Last edited by JMD; 02-05-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: I am too damn late!!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

The guys have had my car for a few days now and sent me some pictures of the undercarriage after they have power washed, degreased, Body Schutz and undercarriage protection sprayed it, as well as detailed all the metal components with black paint. Here's some pics. They will do the inner doors in the next few days. Unfortunatley the other 2 pics I couldnt post b/c the file was too large. Can't wait to replace that exhaust system! Way too close to the drive shaft. It was from a previous owner who did it in the early 90's

Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

when i bought my car the PO used rattle can to paint door shells inside and dash panels. He made an *** out of it as his taping skills were less than excellent and the prepwork was done crap. At some stage I'll re-do it.

But yes, I'll use rattlecan as well