Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need advice/suggestions regarding prep work on fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Default Need advice/suggestions regarding prep work on fiberglass hood

I recently acquired a Shelby style fiberglass hood that I intend to use on my 65 fastback. I bought the hood off a guy who sold his car before installing the hood but he didn't know the brand name. I test fitted it on my fastback last night and everything fits pretty good with the exception of the gap between the hood and fender on the passenger side. The front of the hood rubs on the headlight bucket grille therefore the hood will not go down any lower and there is quite a considerable gap as the hood sits too high on that side. See pictures below. What should I do to fix this? Shave the bottom of the hood? If so, what is the best way to go about it? Also, I have never prepped a fiberglass hood. What steps need to be taken before I paint it?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

I have a really dumb question, did you check to make sure the front snubber isn't hitting the hood? That would push the hood up like that, I know cuz it did to me. By the pics, can't tell if the back is higher too. If it is, you can lower it with the 3 bolts holding the bracket and adjust that. Last thing, I ended up putting hood pins in but used the snubber mounting so they wouldn't be on the rad support. I do have to push down on the pass. side to lock it but I guess the manufacture didn't do their QC. My choice, do the adjustments and see cuz it's better than cutting up the hood.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

if its warped that bad(some are) put it on the floor with some weight on the hood and let it sit for as long as it takes to flatten out. Mine changes shape all the time.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Yep, I did check to make sure the hood wasn't hitting anything and all hood bumpers have been removed. The hood doesn't sit higher in the back (by firewall) just the front. I also checked to see if I could lower the hood hinges but they are already sitting as low as they go. If I push on the hood I can flatten it out a bit but of course once I release it goes back to the original shape.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

That is the problem with ill fitting fiberglass parts. They usually take so much labor to look nice, by the time you pay the tab you would have been ahead by buying something of better quality.

Since you already have the hood and there is no returning it, I would either consider selling it and buying something that fits or shave down the underside. Mark where it's hitting and go to town on that puppy.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5'Oclocksomewhere
That is the problem with ill fitting fiberglass parts. They usually take so much labor to look nice, by the time you pay the tab you would have been ahead by buying something of better quality.

Yeah you're paying money if someone is doing the work for you, but abrush is doing the work himself. Of course, you pay in "time" if you're working for yourself, but I still think it'd be worth it to work on this hood until it fits, rather than sell/toss it now. Like you said, shaving it may be the only option.

Last edited by hightower2011; 10-07-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

drop your rubber stops as far as they will go, and then lower your hood latch. Or better yet, remove your hood latch, and adjust your stops until the hood is flat, then re-install your latch... lookin at the third pic your hood seems fairly in-line with the fender line and just looks high in front. if it was warped, you would probably see a bow