Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Brake Line Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM
pearlsnap

Question 65 Brake Line Questions

Howdy everyone. I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me out with some brake line questions.

First a little history (proceed to the bold text to read my questions): My dad and I restored my 65 coupe about 11 years ago. I drove it during high school and some of college but had to set it in storage for the last 7 years because I could not afford insurance on it and my truck. Because of this and the fact that we did not restore everything to new quality I have several things I have to fix on the car.

First the brakes were all completely shot in the car and is the only thing keeping me from driving it. I don't have a lot of money so converting to disk brakes has not been an option (although I hope to do this in the future). I have completed installing new parts on the drum brakes for all wheels and have installed a new master cylinder. In the process of checking the brake lines I could not blow air through the rear line so I decided to replace all the lines on the car including the rubber hoses.

I have decided to use Poly Armour tubing for the easy bending and cost. What I need to know is what flare I am supposed to put on the line (I believe it is a double flare but I want to make sure). I also need to know what fittings I need to buy to put on the line.

Note: The car was originally a single exhaust and has been converted to dual. The routing I have decided to go with for the line and hoses is the original single exhaust setup. I am doing this for a few reasons: I have not found a good website explaining the changes that have to be made, I do not have access to a welder, and all I am trying to accomplish is to get the car drivable around the block and possibly across town so I can start working on other parts that need replacing. I plan on fixing all this in the future, right now I just want to drive my car.

Thank you for your help,
Pearlsnap
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Welcome!!

The brake lines need to have a double or 45° ˇinverted flare (same thing).

IMO, the routing is ok so long as the metal line does not run closer than 2 or 3 inches from the exhaust for an extended distance, or closer than roughly 2 inches for more than a few of inches of tubing length, but never within an inch.

The rubber line should be routed 4 inches or more from the exhaust tube, and only this close as it only passes the exhaust pipe, not run "next to" the exhaust.

An inverted flare tool can be bought locally easy enough for about $40. The poly coated tube can be tricky to flare, but if the plastic is removed from about an inch from the end of the tube it will work better.

Last edited by JMD; 03-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Inverted flare refers to the direction of the cone in the fitting. The "double" part means the flare at the end is a double thickness of steel tube.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5002780_use-...ring-tool.html