Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Security for my 69, lowjack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

My tow truck is a 99 f450 i paid 8k for 2 years ago.You know how many cars i have towed at 3am with the alarm screaming no one ever looks out.Even driving by a cops i never have gotten stopped.Look up a gps jammer you can buy them online and they do work.Yes its illegal but they still sell them and they do work.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

is protecting property legal in TN?? here in GA it isnt...you can only use force to prevent or stop a forcible felony...
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
no one uses a rollback anymore a standard pickup with a wheel lift can take a car in under 30 secs.If they are willing to steal a car they probably are armed too.Watch how fast this one is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qsvAvb5NMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgS5...eature=related
There's only a "CHANCE" of your car being stolen. It's GUARANTEED you're going to die yet people are all scared about being part of the .01% or whatever crowd of getting their classic stolen but not lining up a the morgue to ensure a good spot?? Let's cut the useless "sky is falling" crap already. Anyone wanting to risk a well armed Texas boy who keeps his classic in a brick building (my repair shop) with alarms and cameras? Who wants to play!! Give us a break with this crap already. The trick is to make it harder to steal. You guys make it so we might as well leave it on the side of the road with the keys in it so the thief gets a good deal. Gimme a break.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
My tow truck is a 99 f450 i paid 8k for 2 years ago.You know how many cars i have towed at 3am with the alarm screaming no one ever looks out.Even driving by a cops i never have gotten stopped.Look up a gps jammer you can buy them online and they do work.Yes its illegal but they still sell them and they do work.
Does it go faster than 1320 ft/second? If not, you might have a problem with mine once the dogs wake me up. I've never seen an f450 outrun a Hydrashock or a Speer +P but you just "might" catch me on a slow day if you can get it before the dogs alert me, you move the truck out of the way, AND manage to get into the garage, provided it's at home and not locked in my shop. Gimme a break. Most classic owners take a little more time than I do with my 92 Cherokee pointed nose to the street.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
is protecting property legal in TN?? here in GA it isnt...you can only use force to prevent or stop a forcible felony...
I was responding to Andrews post of "no one uses a rollback anymore a standard pickup with a wheel lift can take a car in under 30 secs.If they are willing to steal a car they probably are armed too"

In that scenerio I am defending my life from an armed assailant, pretty sure that's legal in every state? (maybe not CA, can you own a gun in CA?) I have found that most every criminal is willing to kill someone just to escape capture so there's no doubt if they come equipped to kill they usually will.

I don't want to take the OP's thread off topic with gun law discussions but may start a poll with another thread - how many have had a car stolen via wrecker, not repo'd, illegal parked...but actually taken and stripped, etc. I'm guessing <5% and how many of those were classic cars taken?

Let's get back on topic with what the OP asked, what specific alarms or lojac do you use or have experience with?

Some prevention is better than none, why lock your house? They can drive through the front door with a wrecker in 3 sec....
Jon
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonk67
Let's get back on topic with what the OP asked, what specific alarms or lojac do you use or have experience with?

Some prevention is better than none, why lock your house? They can drive through the front door with a wrecker in 3 sec....
Jon
Bingo! We've gone full circle. Which car will be stolen, the one with the keys in the ignition 'cuz the owner is scared the thief will hurt him for not cooperating and having the a/c on for him or mine with the alarm parked in a garage next to dogs and a pissed off gun owner (or my well equipped shop)? I'm looking into 2 way alarms first off, personally. For anyone asking I'll suggest LoJak although I'm not real trusting of our local-yocal report filing crew, I mean, law enforcement. When I simply asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago the first several responders were the same way - couldn't answer a simple question yet felt the need to input totally useless advice - so, yes, there's a bit of a chip there.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

My point was insurance covers all if they want the car bad enough it can be stolen.One of my friends had a 68 camaro in a storage unit working on it on the weekends he can't keep it at home.Well he missed a weekend or two it got stolen and had no insurance on it.That was 2 years ago the police still ain't found it yet.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Ahh, better worded! So, the advice here summed up for protection: Insurance, 2 way alarm or LoJak. And don't make it easy to steal.