Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wow! That's one loose release lever!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
olTRASH

Default Wow! That's one loose release lever!

1966 IL-6 3 Speed Manual 75k orig miles

I had an earlier post wondering about the condition of my clutch/trans. Since I just recently purchased the car, I figured I better give it some road time so I can get used to the three speed. I have to say, after getting the finesse with the clutch, it's a lot better, but it seems like something is still up.

There is an enormous amount of play on the release lever. (cast bar with fork that enters the bell housing, right?) When I removed the boot, I can jiggle the release lever and see whatever it is hooked to is also moving. It dosen't even seem to be resting on the fulcrum plate with any measurable pressure. The bushings on the equalizer bar are trashed and I have them and will be replacing them.

Any ideas? More than just the clutch plate and pressure plate replacement?

Also, I know these are the 'paper' tranny's, but does 1st gear inherently have a loud whining noise? Almost like when you downshift to second and let out the clutch. The 'tilt a whirl' sound. It also seems to be tough to drop her into first at a stoplight...sometimes, natural because of non-synchronized or is just the cluster burning/burned out?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The retaining spring is missing.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-02-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
olTRASH

Are there any diagrams/shematics for these trans? I have the original service manual, but it does not have details on the clutch parts inside of the bell housing.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Can't find one offhand. The hooks at the ends of the spring wire go through the hole on the sides of the release lever, and the loop in the middle goes under the hook/tab on the fulcrum.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
olTRASH

I finally got the time to pull the trans. Only took 2 hrs until it was on the bench, not bad for my first time. After checking out some photos online, I noticed my clutch lever was contacting the release lever at the wrong spot. It wasn't in the emboss, it was nested into the slotted notch at the end of the release lever. Weird, I can't believe that baby didn't pop off.

2+2, the spring is there and is routed correctly. But, after I had the bell housing reattached to the trans on the bench, I noticed there is a load of slop between the release bearing and the front bearing retainer. Should there be a bushing or something...If there is that much slop could that cause uneven finger engagement causing the vibration when letting out the clutch in first?