Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang 1966, steering not returning to center

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM
phara0h

Default Mustang 1966, steering not returning to center

I have a 66 mustang coupe with power steering, I am having trouble with the car not returning to center after making a turn.

When I jacked up the car, I can easely move the wheels with my hands. When I start up the car, and try to move the wheels again I get resistance when moving the wheel as if I was turning to the left.

I am suspecting it to be my control valve. Anyone have any other ideas? (or can confirm that it would be my control valve?)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Well, the non-return could be a bad bushing in the idler arm, or a wheel alignment problem.

When I jacked up the car, I can easely move the wheels with my hands.
This is normal.

When I start up the car, and try to move the wheels again I get resistance when moving the wheel as if I was turning to the left.
The wheels should not let you turn them by hand with the engine running. If it is different on the left vs. the right, you need to recondition the valve. Skill level required about the same as rebuilding a carburetor. The hardest part is getting a kit that has everything you need, including tube seats. Many kits omit parts, to lower the price. Steering is not a good place to save money.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM
phara0h

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Well, the non-return could be a bad bushing in the idler arm, or a wheel alignment problem.

This is normal.

The wheels should not let you turn them by hand with the engine running. If it is different on the left vs. the right, you need to recondition the valve. Skill level required about the same as rebuilding a carburetor. The hardest part is getting a kit that has everything you need, including tube seats. Many kits omit parts, to lower the price. Steering is not a good place to save money.
How do I check if the bushing in the idler arm is bad?

I had a mechanic check the wheeel alignment, and they said the alignment is OK.

When driving my steering if the same left vs. right. While driving the only problem is that it is not recovering to center after turning. When moving the wheels when it is jacked up I can move the wheels fine when moving them to the right, while when moving them to the left it is possible to move it, but there is resistance.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

There a many things that can cause this.

Most common.

Ider Arm Castle Nut tightened to tight on the frame Bracket (Yes, the Tightening is because someone has tried to get rid of the Slop on a Worn out Bushing)

Ram/Cylinder has a bent shaft. This bent shaft will bind as Hydraulic pressure forces the shaft in, or out.

Bent Centerlink--This is where the Centerlink/Control Valve Bushing has to slide FREELY in the Cavity of the Centerlink. The Centerlinks get bent, or are profusely rusted.

Steering Box Worn Out. This can be written in Novels, Not Going there.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What are the actual alignment specs?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:33 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member