Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

FAST EZ-EFi system

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

why do you have a boost referenced regulator?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you don't reference the fuel pressure to manifold boost, it'll run lean as the boost comes up. Manifold pressure still represents a resistance to fuel discharge, and if you could somehow achieve the silly case where boost = regulated fuel line pressure, you wouldn't get any fuel out at all.

If the car isn't FI yet, there may be plans to do so.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
why do you have a boost referenced regulator?
I gotta tell you I absolutly love your car!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If you don't reference the fuel pressure to manifold boost, it'll run lean as the boost comes up. Manifold pressure still represents a resistance to fuel discharge, and if you could somehow achieve the silly case where boost = regulated fuel line pressure, you wouldn't get any fuel out at all.

Norm
thanks norm for a answer i already knew.

I was asking becasue there is no reason to have a boost referenced regulator with no forced induction, unless i missed a hidden blower or turbo
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ic237
I gotta tell you I absolutly love your car!
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 AM
rsusmark

Hi Guys...the discussion about reference is correct....sort of in this instance. It's true that if you don't reference the BOOSTED manifold pressure, your fuel could be shut down but that is not why FAST put this on. (my car does not have a blower) The regulator you see on my car is the fuel pressure regulator and they reference the maniforld pressure so that the pressure to the injectors remains proportionate to not only the manifold pressure but atmospheric as well. Basically they are making sure that the A/F ratio does not change do to external changes. These injectors have the capability to feed a much large engine so they want to keep the fuel flow "in the box" by making sure the pressure delivered to the four injectors in the throttle body are the same, no matter what the loose nut behind the wheel does with the throttle or where he points the nose of the car...Pikes peak or the Mariana Trench. BTW, you guys can download the ENTIRE installation manual for this set up from FAST...makes interesting reading before you buy! Reid
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rsusmark
Hi Guys...the discussion about reference is correct....sort of in this instance. It's true that if you don't reference the BOOSTED manifold pressure, your fuel could be shut down but that is not why FAST put this on. (my car does not have a blower) The regulator you see on my car is the fuel pressure regulator and they reference the maniforld pressure so that the pressure to the injectors remains proportionate to not only the manifold pressure but atmospheric as well. Basically they are making sure that the A/F ratio does not change do to external changes. These injectors have the capability to feed a much large engine so they want to keep the fuel flow "in the box" by making sure the pressure delivered to the four injectors in the throttle body are the same, no matter what the loose nut behind the wheel does with the throttle or where he points the nose of the car...Pikes peak or the Mariana Trench. BTW, you guys can download the ENTIRE installation manual for this set up from FAST...makes interesting reading before you buy! Reid
Thanks, i wasnt want aware of that.I went with a different brand, but still might put on on my boat that is a N/A 514 BB
Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

As far as I know, return-style regulators normally reference manifold vacuum or boost. For boost, it raises the pressure to overcome the boost (39 psi + 10# boost requires 49 psi for the same fuel flow). For vacuum, it reduces the pressure to correct for that. Without correcting for vacuum, the injectors would spray too much fuel since the injector flow is calibrated for a given pressure drop (not absolute pressure at the injector). To set the base pressure, you check with the engine off since it will drop with vacuum (mine is set for 39 psi but at idle it's about 28 psi).

Last edited by ozarks06; 08-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
Very good explanation. Norm is correct as usual.