Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

73 Cougar - Mustang Cousin restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
TonyXR7

Default 73 Cougar - Mustang Cousin restoration

I have a 73 Cougar XR7 convertible that needs to have the inner rocker panels replaced on both sides. In addition, the front inner fenders need to be replaced, especially the passenger side where the battery tray is supposed to be. The previous owner just welded a piece of metal to the inner fender for the battery, so the battery slides.

I had a local guy that was going to replace the inner rockers (he originally wanted to repair them) he however doesn't have a garage and felt it would take too long to do on a weekend in a friend's garage. I offered him the use of my garage, he has never called me back.

I've been reading information in these forums and others as well as webpages / blogs of others that have replaced them and feel that with my limited welding experience I can probably do the inner fenders. I don't want to take the car completely apart and don't have the cash to do a frame off restoration anyways. Every forum, every post is different in what a project like this takes. Most are frame off restorations, what if you just want to replace the inner rocker panels only? Can that be done? What's the best way to do this?

I've worked on cars before but never to this level. Looking for advice, thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

So, if you are going to do inner rockers, are you going to remove the floor first?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
TonyXR7

I wasn't planing on removing the floors. Floor is in good condition, the guy that looked over the car said there was very little wrong with the floor pans. I started pulling out the interior to get a better look this past weekend as well as the front fenders. Thought if anything, I could replace the inner fenders.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
TonyXR7

I got a friend that lives in Indiana, he has a Fastback. The car is mint.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You can replace the inner rocker without replacing the floor. In the 71-73, it's easier than earlier years. The Mustang inner rocker will do, but IIRC it has to be extended slightly for a Cougar.

BTW, it is impossible to do a 'frame-off' restoration of a Mustang. It doesn't have one.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
You can replace the inner rocker without replacing the floor. In the 71-73, it's easier than earlier years. The Mustang inner rocker will do, but IIRC it has to be extended slightly for a Cougar.

BTW, it is impossible to do a 'frame-off' restoration of a Mustang. It doesn't have one.
I think he meant rotisserie restoration.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
TonyXR7

The pictures I've seen show Mustangs suspended on about 18 inches off the ground without wheels. Thought it was off a frame. As I said, new to this, worked mostly on the interior part of cars but would like to try this and learn along the way. I'm just looking for some help along the way so that I don't mess it up completely.

Can I do this using multiple jack stands? I found a site with a guy that did a 69 convertible using jackstands for support. Haven't seen much though on 71 to 73 Mustangs / Cougars.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Oh wait, didn't see this. Post some pics dude.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
I think he meant rotisserie restoration.
That would be very different. Words matter.

Originally Posted by TonyXR7
The pictures I've seen show Mustangs suspended on about 18 inches off the ground without wheels. Thought it was off a frame. As I said, new to this, worked mostly on the interior part of cars but would like to try this and learn along the way. I'm just looking for some help along the way so that I don't mess it up completely.

Can I do this using multiple jack stands? I found a site with a guy that did a 69 convertible using jackstands for support. Haven't seen much though on 71 to 73 Mustangs / Cougars.
The Mustang has no frame, it was an early "unibody" car, meaning the body and chassis are integrated into a single unit, for lighter weight and increased strength.

I have done exactly as you describe, using eight large jack stands. A purpose-built frame is a possibility, too. Do one component at a time. In your case, replace the worst of the two rockers first, and if even more support is needed along the bottom of the rocker, add more stands or supports. Do not weld the edges of the pinchwelds, drill 5/16-3/8" holes and rose-weld them. Results in far better strength, like factory.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 09-06-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 AM
TonyXR7

I wish I had the room to do that. Once I remove the interior I'll post some pictures. Do I need to use photo bucket or can I post directly to the thread?

Sorry about the words. But I haven't done anything like this before, though I like to think that I am pretty good around tools. Most of my projects have been around interior restoration and I spent a summer working with a local mechanic at night rebuilding my 280Z's engine.