Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

93 mustang mini starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM
rodman71

Default 93 mustang mini starter

Anyone ever heard of this problem? I put a 93 mustang starter on my 72 maverick and wired it up just like I have read on here both starter cables on the left side of the sylonoid and the 10 gauge wire coming off the starter to the right side of sylonoid where the battery cable used to be.When I turned the engine over the starter keep spinning until I unhooked the battery cable.So I put the old starter back on and everything worked fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

IIRC, the 93 starter has a solenoid on it, GM-style. To make this work right, you'd need to eliminate your original solenoid, and extend the wires down to the one on the starter.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I am thinking that maybe the solenoid on the new starter just got stuck...

Sounds like you had it hooked right.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

If you wired it like this...

And it hangs, it may just be the teeth meshing together in a bind and holding the Bendix out, and if that Bendix is out it will keep running.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
If you wired it like this...

And it hangs, it may just be the teeth meshing together in a bind and holding the Bendix out, and if that Bendix is out it will keep running.
IMO unless the car is still running points or some other ignition that requires a 12V start and a reduced voltage for the run circuit, I would generally avoid running the stock solenoid to activate the start circuit of the replacement starter, and/or totally eliminating the use of the stock solenoid for anything other than a junction block. (and even if the "S" circuit is needed, I would only CONSIDER using the stock solenoid for this purpose ONLY, WHILE still NOT running the new starter solenoid wire through the old solenoid)

Using the stock solenoid to trigger the solenoid on the replacement starter adds needles complexity to the circuit, and thereby makes it less reliable.

I know that using the stock solenoid to trigger the replacement solenoid is sometimes recommended, but IMO it is just a bad idea. (this setup stacks Ford style solenoid reliability issues onto GM style reliability issues, making the circuit many times more likely to fail)

When I used a similar starter on my Lincoln (due to a tranny swap) I hooked up both solenoids as pictured above, it didn't work right, (the starter hung) then I thought about what I was doing and asked myself WHY? Wired in a traditional (GM) manner and it worked right.

Last edited by JMD; 10-03-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

JMD, the existing solenoid is now only switching lower current so it is a bit less finicky, but I get you.

I would add, for future readers (from the future) that once these Mini's get to spinning they can create current and lock themselves into some sorta perpetual motion machine, so whatever you do dont just jumper to the small one from the big one on the starter because it can stick....it's kinda like dividing by zero.