Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Drum brakes pulling on i6. Should I fix/replace or convert?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
wonso79
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
I read there was some modification that had to be done to the kit for it to work, did you have to do any of that?
Nope, just ordered the kit from CJ Pony Parts and installed. You have to run the brake lines from the master cylinder to the distribuation block a little different then the single. Pretty simple and I am just a beginer when it comes to working on cars.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:25 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boeing747arowair
sounds like that guy is throwing parts on it like hell in order to charge you instead of heading the problem on the nail first
I hate it when people diagnose problems like that. Considering the wide variety of parts they are installing, they don't have a clue.

Suspension stuff should not require replacing piece by piece to diagnose. Checking on the rack should do.

I would have replaced the shoes first. Sounds like they started with the expensive stuff.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Well, it sounded like there was indeed problems with play in the control arm and ball joints.. so, even though it didn't fix the problem, they had to be replaced anyway.

They replaced the brake pads, it still pulled. Then as he was test-driving it, he felt the pedal bleed down.. so the master cylinder was bad. Had that replaced. We took it for a test drive (in the rain, eek) and when I slammed on the brakes, it still dangerously pulled.

I decided to pay the bill which was now $1600 and take it home out of the rain. I'll come back when we've got a sunny stretch and, for free, he'll swap the drums from one side to the other and see if it pulls the other direction. If it does, then we know the drums are bad.

Fortunately the rain didn't dirty any of my work detailing the engine compartment, so I am gratified for that.

Originally Posted by JHPSTANG
If those brakes have been on there for 30+ years with not much use it would make sense that the wheel cylinders might be in bad shape. most of the parts on drum brakes are cheap and can be replaced easily by someone who has done it once or twice. I'm not saying that your control arms were not the problem, just that brakes might have been a place to start first. I completely rebuilt my drums myself, as a rookie, in a couple hours. The more you fix yourself on these cars, the more you understand how they work so you can diagnose problems that come up. IMHO
I wish I had the tools and the guts to work on things like this... Messing with the brake system particularly scares me :|
Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
I wish I had the tools and the guts to work on things like this... Messing with the brake system particularly scares me :|
If you follow the procedures in the Ford Shop Manual, you couldn't possibly do worse than the guys who just charged you $1600.