Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A few issues w/ my 66 coupe i6

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:10 PM
seanwillis0826

Default A few issues w/ my 66 coupe i6

My 66 I got about a week ago has a few things I am concerned about.

To start, I replaced the weather stripping this week and now it is incredibly difficult to open and close the doors. I've read that the stuff I bought is thicker so it would be harder to close but I mean I have to SLAM the doors it's ridiculous! Should I swap out the door weather stripping for the thinner stuff (I forgot the name of it) or will the thicker stuff (by Scott drake) "break in". The doors may be out of alignment cause the window and quarter window don't seem to line up correctly (pictures attached)

Second, tonight I was driving to the store, it was dark, so my lights were on. Then all the sudden THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF. Scariest thing ever...then about 3-5 seconds later they came back on. This happened twice...thoughts? (I did press the brights button on the floor like two times before that happened, maybe pinched a wire or something?) I know I most likely need a new voltage regulator behing the instrument cluster because my gas gauge only reads half a talk and my temp gauge does not go more than half a centimeter off cold etc. I wouldn't think that would cause a light issue though. Maybe a relay?

And one more thing for this crazy all over the place thread, my mother said when I drove off today it was smoking, out the tail pipe...which is not a good thing. Why could it be doing that? There is a leak from the oil pan, I need to replace the gasket (I have it just have not done it yet). And there is most definitely an exhaudt manifold leak, where the headers meet the exhaust pipe.

I apologize for cramming all this unto one thing but did not want to post three different threads at one time.
Attached Thumbnails A few issues w/ my 66 coupe i6-img_00231.jpg   A few issues w/ my 66 coupe i6-img_00261.jpg   A few issues w/ my 66 coupe i6-img_00271.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

There is a circuit breaker internal to the light switch. A shorted wire some where in the lighting circuits will cause this to open and when it cools it will make contact again. Unless you fix the short it will act like a big slow flasher.
You can adjust the lock plate on the door to make the door easier to close but this will mean the door may not be flush.
Smoke out the pipe could be from overnight condensation, oil leaking down the valve seals, leak in the head gasket etc. Depends on color, smell, temp and lots of different things. Hard to tell from just a mother's description of smoke.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 PM
seanwillis0826

[QUOTE=bop11;8512344]There is a circuit breaker internal to the light switch. A shorted wire some where in the lighting circuits will cause this to open and when it cools it will make contact again. Unless you fix the short it will act like a big slow flasher.

Cool I'll check that out...do you know where to find a wiring diagram? I do not currently have a manual.

Smoke out the pipe could be from overnight condensation, oil leaking down the valve seals, leak in the head gasket etc. Depends on color, smell, temp and lots of different things. Hard to tell from just a mother's description of smoke.[/QUOTE

Yeah really, I was asking her what color the smoke was and she just goes "idk" lol moms
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

http://averagejoerestoration.com/196...ring-diagrams/
Old 10-15-2015, 08:05 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Replace your headlight switch and be done with it.