Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with Borgeson steering box

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
ernie1

Default Help with Borgeson steering box

Morning all. I have a 73 Mach One with Power Steering and have changed the steering box to what I think is an updated unit but am having some issues with it. The new is a Borgeson Model #800128 box and I have their new rag joint. I have sent them an email a couple days ago with no response yet so I thought some here with more knowledge may help me out. Here it is....

Per the installation instructions I have it says to center the box and the (metal rag joint flange will be vertical).Well at approximately 3 1/3 full turns…. when we get it as centered as we can and the flange is horizontal, at this point it is like 1 1/2 and just about 2 turns either way. Should it be even or closer to center than that? And with my steering wheel at the straight ahead position we are about 90 degrees off of mating with your new joint. I’m kind of at a loss right now on how to proceed and was looking for a little guidance if you could help.Would I center the box perfectly, connect to the steering column, and then loosen and clock the steering wheel to center straight ahead position or is that not the way to go? Or would I try to move the rag joint coupler on my steering column? I want to make sure that the Pitman arm is in the correct position also for (straight ahead) so the rest of my front end gets set up correctly.
Thanks in advance for any help, Ernie