Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tsb on 05-06-07 vert tops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 AM
nobrakes
2nd Gear Member

Default tsb on 05-06-07 vert tops?

Has anyone heard of this TSB 07-19-1 it has to do with the #1 and #4 bow wearing out the top hmm
Old 10-27-2007, 04:35 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: tsb on 05-06-07 vert tops?

Someone else here posted on it, but I have not seen a copy yet.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:52 PM
proreps2007

I want to ask a global question re my 2006 Mustang GT Convertible - I have had 2 tops collapse (bracket issues) and replaced by Ford. Apparently poorly designed frame/brackets from what the installer (not Ford) told me ... perhaps too thin/weak for the load).

I want to see if anyone else has experienced issues with their tops for that year (or even any year from2005-2008). Please give any feedback that you can ... this has developed into a huge problem. The last time it collapsed my 2 small grandkids were in the back seat, and now will not even ride in the car

My GT has been in the shop for the top(s) issue for 27 out of past 40 days. HELP!!

Johnny
proreps@silcon.com
Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 AM
arizonamike

I have a 06 Mustang vert. Have had mine over a year. No issues yet. Knock on wood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77154/001FDC4F41F848698F87F97B576A3A3C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM
75gmck25

I just got my '05 GT back from the dealer, where they replaced the convertible top for the 2nd time under warranty.
- The first time was because the rear window had separated from the top and it was leaking.
- This time the driver's side window was out of adjustment and was scraping the edge of the top each time I opened the door. By the time I noticed it there was a small tear (3/8") in the edging on the top.

The first replacement went smoothly and I never had any problems. This time the installer had trouble getting the moulding off where the top meets the deck lid. The car had to go back to the body shop to repair damage from the tools he used to pry the moulding off. When I picked it up I noted that one of the mouldings still did not fit right (I think they broke one of the attaching tabs) so they have ordered a replacement. I hope I don't find any other problems.

By the way, I found out that regardless of what Ford extended warranty you buy, it does not cover the convertible top. Once you cross the 3/36k boundary, its all at your expense. I'm up to about 32k miles and wondering if I need to start saving for a future top replacement at my expense.

Bruce
Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
windveil sally

Yes, this TSB exists...I have a copy at my desk at work.I have the slits near bow 1.These slits originally appeared as black specks on my camel roof which I initially mistook for dirt.Upon closer inspection, there are several of these "dirt" spots which are in various degrees of becoming slits.This car (an '05 V6) has never seen snow and is rarely driven in the rain.She is hibernating for the winter so my quest for replacement of my top is on hold until April. The service manager originally denied that a TSB existed. Then later he said the slits were about "an inch south of bow 1" so the TSB didn't cover the damage. Upon my insistence he alerted his Zone Manager and I was told I would be asked to bring the car in for his review. I later was informed via voice mail message that the Zone Manager "showed up unannounced" and declared my issue was not a manufacturers defect and therefore not covered by warranty. I demanded a written response from the Zone Manager and in his opinion, my damage is due to "either" environmental fallout or vandalism. He suggested I file an insurance claim. We must have meticulous vandals in my neighborhood since the slits are so accurately placed on both sides of the roof. And the fallout.....well it too must be selective since it only wanted to damage my vinyl top and leave no other traces on any other part of the exterior. They told me if I disagreed with the ruling, to call the 800# for customer service. So I did.....and was informed they could not overrule the Zone Manager and there was no one I could escalate my issue to.So I asked for help from a friend who works for Ford. He putme in contact with the Executive Offices for Customer Service andeven that office could not get the Zone Manager to call me.I know of two other people who havethe same symptoms as me. I have alerted them to the issueand hope that together we can get these defects remedied.

In addition, my top occasionally misaligns when closing; there are the beginnings of rust stains on the vinyl around the rear window; there are black scuff marks on all of the bows that appeared shortly after purchase; and the rear defroster is again broken (fixed twice already). If this isn't a case for warranty claim, I don't know what is.