Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

top fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

Default top fluid

i have a 92 vert and the top clicks when i try to use it. ive read and it seems everyone says its either the relays or low fluid. both relays are clicking and it dont seem to me that both of them would've just quit at the same time. cause one is for down and one is for up. And if they're clickin then there's power being sent which means the switch is workin. so either the motor is burnt up or low on fluid. so does anyone know how to check it? i searched but couldnt find anything
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like it's low on fluid. When mine gets low the top motor begins to whine and becomes slower, particularly when raising the top. When it gets really low it just whines and doesn't even attempt to raise or lower. Either way, it's somewhat of a gradual process. First things first before you embark upon the following process, check for voltage at the motor just to be sure it's getting power.

Assuming your car is remotely similar to mine, the motor has a black rubber plug on one end of it (driver's side on my car). The motor must first be removed from it's base (just snaps in) and then "stood up" so that the fill plug is facing you and then remove it. The hole to fill is only about 1/4" dia. at most, so get a funnel with a small opening that will fit in there and top it off with Mercon ATF. After you get it all snapped back together, run the top up and down a few times to bleed the system (you'll notice each time that the motor operation becomes better and whines less). I would suggest while you're in there to inspect the hydraulic line fittings at the motor and top cylinders for signs of leakage or seepage (mine has minor seepage on one of the driver side cylinder fittings; enough that I have to add fluid about once a year).

Again, my car is 9 years newer than yours, so I cannot guarantee that everything will be exactly the same as I have described. I just have a strong suspicion that they're quite similar on this particular issue, that's all. Be sure to double check what fluid to use as well, as stated mine uses Mercon ATF. If you can't verify here that yours uses the same then maybe call a dealership.

Aside from that, your car is 19 years old so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibilities that the motor is done. Here's a spot I know you can get another if that turns out to be the case...... http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ible-Top-Motor
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

hey thanks man great help. just for future reference the top motor in my car has the fill plug on the passenger side. i think its full. i didnt stand it up as you spoke of but i pulled the plug out and it ran some fluid out. oh and its written on there to use mercron-dexron atf. its written on the pump. so im gonna take my multi meter to the plug comin from the relays,(two prong one male one female), and get my gf to run the switch while i check to see if it is puttin out volts. But as i said great reply man very informative