Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

I want my shine back!!! and some questions about paint repair...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default I want my shine back!!! and some questions about paint repair...

I was wondering what type of wax is reccomended on a red car (not sure if that matters or not) with an almost new paint job. I live on 20 miles of dirt roads so it's kind of hard to avoid some very small knicks of paint that were taken off by the dirt behind the tires. Also I just put splash guards on the rear wheels so that will prevent most of the paint wear but behind both my front and rear wheels the paint has faded from dirt and small rocks hitting it, I'm sure that there's a way to make it all shine again but what should I use??? Should I just try to wax the whole thing with some kind of meguiars wax and see how that turns out? Also for some of the small knicks that can not be repaired with some type of wax or polish, where can I get my paint matched to get a little paint pen or something so that I can re paint these little knicks?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:30 AM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I want my shine back!!! and some questions about paint repair...

buff it. or clay bar will get tar and such off. i just did a clay bar on my car, got a lot of stuff off right after i washed it. my cars white tho so alot more is easy to be seen.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 AM
blackstang2887
2nd Gear Member

I use Meguire's black gold wax and it works real good. if you get your paint matched and touch up those nicks it will look much better but to make it look normal again i would touch up the spots, wet sand them with like 2000 grit sandpaper then run over them with a buffer, it worked for some dings on my car.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Are there places that I can take it to get proffessionaly buffed? I dont want to swirl or burn up my paint.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:27 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

If you cant do it yourself, find a detail shop. Make sure they don`t use compound or anything abrasive and you wont have to worry about swirls. I always use a buffer with a foam pad for polishes and waxes. Never had any swirls.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:52 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

So can I just use one of those applicator pads that you can find at walmart or a parts store like parts plus to put the wax on and then use like a waffle weave towel to remove it, as you can tell I've never done wax before.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM
shayne
2nd Gear Member

Guys, guys. Go to the sponsors of this wonderful forum.
autogeek.net
Also try autopia.org
There's more than just waxing or buffing or claying that will bring back a great shine.
You must clean (clay and paint cleaner), polish , then wax.

I use : 1-clay
2-paint cleaner
3-polish
4-paint sealant (tech wax)
5-carnuba show glaze (meg. #26) This step Stang only at least 24 hrs. after sealant.

I've learned many things from the sites I listed above and now even my daily drivers look great. My Stang turns heads whenever it's on the road, especially since buying a Porter-Cable polisher from autogeek. This forum has pointed me in the direction of AUTOGEEKDOM and I'm having a blast making my cars look great. Woooooohoooo! Come on spring/summer!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Intense

www.paintscratch.com <----------- great match! But if you're going to do it be sure and read and follow all instructions and practice on something before trying it on your car.