General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Gauge Problem Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

Default Gauge Problem Help ASAP

Hi, i bought a new set of gauges...reverse glow...and i followed all the instructions and when i turned the car on and revved the engine the RPM needle didn't move and all my other neddles were f'ed up. it said i had a full tank of gas and i knew i was almost empty.

i took a pic of the cluster b4 i removed the needles and put them on in the same place.,,

can anyone tell me what might be wrong?~!

thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Gauge Problem Help ASAP

is there any way u can take off the clear lens and plug the gauges in. then while the car is running adjust the needles accordinly
Old 06-22-2006, 11:16 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The needle posts fall to a resting position. You needed to take a picture of the position of all the needles BEFORE removing them with the key in the on position (running makes the tach easier).

It's on you to fix it at this point. Key in the ON position. If you use the instrument cluster trick you can get numbers for all of the needles to get an estimation... otherwise you'll have to go for an estimate (like, at running temp, the temp needle is just short of half way, battery should be just past half way etc).

ORIGINAL: Durr727

is there any way u can take off the clear lens and plug the gauges in. then while the car is running adjust the needles accordinly
Just drop it back in without the lens on...? Do you really need to ask this? You don't need to screw it in, just set it in there far enough to plug it in, lens off. You can work on it that way.

Edit: And since they were off enough apparently to read to opposite extremes (RPM at 0 even when revving, fuel at full when empty) you may have damaged the little controlling motors, and they may never be accurate again.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Click link. http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm
Old 06-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

this is all great...but my dumb *** dropped one of the needles into the dash and that baby is gone[sm=headbang.gif]
Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

that blows! i almost did that when i put my white face gauges in. it got caught before it fell though....
Old 06-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

yeah i screwed up that whole cluster...i even dropped it when i was in a rage...that damn install is so frustrating.
....anyone know a good place to look for the whole complete part including lens, gauges, the back part etc.... and how much it will probably go for $$
Old 06-23-2006, 05:41 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Durr727

yeah i screwed up that whole cluster...i even dropped it when i was in a rage...that damn install is so frustrating.
....anyone know a good place to look for the whole complete part including lens, gauges, the back part etc.... and how much it will probably go for $$
Sorry bout the slightly hostile post earlier, not having the best day... ANYWAY

You messed up your cluster (exactly like I did [8D]), so what I did, was go to eBay! I managed to find a cluster from a 99 Cobra on there, which was perfect... Tasteful design and white-faced. Got it for... $200? I think. You may not be able to find any on there but look for wrecked stangs, the instrument cluster is probably in tact for them.

ISSUES WITH CLUSTER SWAPS:

You WILL need to go to a Ford dealership then swap the cluster, when you put the new one in (unless it's brand new never-been-used, like from Autometer), your car will not start because it will think you're not using the correct key (PATS issues). The dealer can re-program your keys after you swap the cluster, they should only charge you one hour's labor.

If you have a mid 01-04 stang, and put in a cluster from a 99-01 stang in there, your rear defroster will always be on. You can turn it off by pulling the correct fuse in the engine bay. When you push the rear defroster button, regardless of if the fuse in the engine bay is in or out, you will blow the fuse for the A/C compressor clutch. (I have a wiring diagram and will be attempting to find a fix for this soon). On the flip side of this, if you put a 01-04 cluster in a 99-01 stang, you will not be able to turn your rear defroster on at all (speculation, looking at the wiring diagram, this makes sense).

The mileage that was on the used cluster will stay, it will not show correct mileage. Be sure to record your old mileage exactly (and have the dealership do it too for insurance purposes, also safety for future vehicle sales) just before the swap. The dealership can NOT change the mileage on the cluster. If you buy a brand new cluster (through Ford, or one from Autometer) it will read the previous mileage.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Sorry bout the slightly hostile post earlier, not having the best day... ANYWAY
No problem. i was too because of this effing cluster.
thanks for the info, now i just need to get the money quick.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

thanks for all the help guys...it turns out that the existing stock insert was restricting the movement of the needles so i i needed to do was remove it...and now they work fine.[sm=headbang.gif]