General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.0 Cougar Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 Cougar Engine Swap

Alright, my mustang right now is a v6. I just got done redoing the exterior with rims, although I do not have dual exhaust yet, it will be soon, especially if this swap is able to work.

A few days ago I was driving back with my family from a small vacation. I was going along when I noticed a Thunderbird on the side of the road. While it wasn't in great shape exterior wise, it was only 500 dollars, and looked like it would be a good work car. I called the number and found out that it was pretty nice under the hood and that it was under restoration, but the guy was engaged and needed quick money fast.

The car has a Cougar 5.0 engine, although I never thought to ask if it was an HO or not. I wasn't completely sure if Cougars came with the 5.0HO. Other than that, the car has a 5speed transmission. The engine has roughly 60,000 miles on it, as well as a few new mods. The ignition is ruined, and it doesn't have exhaust and needs a good tune.

Along with that, it has 4bbl intake from Professional Products, Edelbrock 1406 polished 4bbl carb, Ford Racing Wires (9mm), 85GT distributor, Steeda Double adjustable Clutch, Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs, Accel Supercoil (chrome), Aluminum race radiator (outcools a conventional 4 core), Chrome radiator brackets, chrome valve covers, and the car is an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

With that, I was wondering if it would be worth swapping engines. Would it be too much of a hassle, not possible, and my car right now is an auto, so would I be able to swap out both the engine and the manual tranny from the Thunderbird to my Mustang. Since my mustang now has 100,000 miles, and this only has 60K it seems that it would be a smart trade. And since mine is a V6, this V8 would give more horsepower. I would assume, the engine has the Thunderbird's turbo in it, or was there even a turbo in it if it was an 87 TB Turbo. The Thunderbird has power seats, windows, locks etc...and it seems that 500 dollars, even if the thing needs work, the parts in it would be a steal and well worth buying anyways to part out or sell. The call with the guy was short and sweet, I was hurried since I had football practice, but basically was just what do you have on it. I haven't looked at the car under the hood. But assuming all this is true, would it be possible to swap engines. Just drop the tranny and the engine out of both cars and possibly put my mustang v6 into the cougar and sell it to some kid cheap. Sorry this was so long, but I tried to give as much information as possible to help. Thanks alot, later.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 Cougar Engine Swap

What car do you have now? Unless it's a Deuce, the 302 will fit just fine. For a Deuce, you'll need to make sure your inner fenders are the right style.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Right now I just have a 2000 V6 Mustang, I don't know a lot about the Deuce Frame, but I don't think my Mustang has that. Because my car is a V6, there is considerable room for a V8, especially upfront. Also, would I get considerable horsepower gain, I know the 5spd would help a lot with speed and getting the most out of my engine. But is the 302 pushing enough horsepower that I would see some considerable difference. I've been looking around, and it seems most only are pushing 215 stock from sites like Cardomain.com. However, I don't know how reliable that site would be since it's just guys and girls who are talking up their cars. Of course, I assume that it would have much more power being a V8, and the 5.0 engine and mustang just seem perfect together as they were many years ago before the 4.6. But at the same time, with a few bolt ons to a V6 I could out do 215HP I'm sure. In the end though, it's still only a V6 and you can only go so far. I've also heard, for safety reasons you need to redo your whole suspension and of course exhaust and a few other things to handle the much larger and powerful engine.

Thanks for the help...later.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 AM
jk351w

Yes, you can make the swap, but it will def. be a hassle. IMO I don't think it would be worth your time and effort. If you're just looking for more power, save up some money, sell your v6, and buy a 99-02 GT (you can find them for pretty cheap now adays).
Old 09-15-2006, 04:42 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I kinda figured that it would be a hassle, but I think most any engine swap is. Two of my good buddies race and are constantly working on the engine, each has swapped an engine at least once. My other good friend works pits with em and all of them have the knowledge and tools required. The one who works pits has a dad who was a mechanic and retired but now basically restores cars and soups them up. The mechanics other son recently, as in 3 years ago, swapped out a V6 from an Explorer, which is the same V6 found in mustangs I believe, and put in a 5.0 in the Explorer. I'm just trying to get other input.

One of my friends said if I was able to do the swap, he'd buy the basic body of the Thunderbird for a race car, since he's the one who doesn't do racing because he hasn't found a cheap car in safe condition. Then I could just part out the electronics. It may be a big project, but it'll be worth it. I think it'll be great and unique. No offense to the guys who just buy a V8 off the showroom floor, but this is gonna take hard work from a lot of people, and that'll make it special. People are always looking back saying "I wish I never sold my high school car". I don't wanna be one of them people, and I've already done a lot to my car that I don't want to lose, I did a major restoration on the exterior. Is was previously wrecked and now, pretty close to perfect, save a few minor scratches and blemishes and small door dings. I've invested time and money for a car that, the only way can be described as I've come to love. It's not just a car, as many enthusiasts would agree, it's a life style, a love, a hope, a dream, and that's why I don't just wanna trade it in. Sorry this turned into a speech, but anyways.

Do you guys think the manual tranny will fit. I'm sure with some fabrication of a few parts it could work, if not just a good fit already. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

this is a serious pain swap

your talking abbout gutting your car and installing a pre 1990 5.0 your ecu will not work to run that car, so you will be doing some major wiring mods, your better off spending 3000 on a gt swap
then its only basic wiring changes( ecu engine ect) but what your talking about is like converting your 200+ to a 198+ car both power wise and technology wise also your brake booster is set up for a v6, a v8 will not fit without changing to the hydramatic system, which wont bolt up to the 5.0 lets not forget , abs system, air bags, ac, power steering, fuel tank and system

i just did a v6 to v8 swap but it was a 1997 v6 to a 199 gt , all's i can say is if your gonna swap do a same year swap

CHECK OUT HERE
http://www.streetstangs.net/showthre...7927#post97927
Old 09-16-2006, 04:08 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Well, the 5.0 isn't a pre-90's. In fact, the 302 is actually a 1993 with 60K miles that was originally in a Mercury Cougar, which was actually the year which it was renamed or had only one package which was the XR7. I'm not really sure if that's exact, but from some small research in the last week on this subject, I think '93 was the XR7 instead of Cougar. That doesn't really matter, but I suppose the fact remains the same that all the above is true.

I'm getting a ton of different replies, and all I can do is believe the ones such as from Onegreedy, because if I don't believe them than I could end up in a problematic predictament. I've been talking to the guy whose gonna help me swap it, and he says it'll be good. However, he's really gun hoe and excited, and while yea it's possible and good, I'm already positive it'll take work. I guess the factor now is that, I think this is a good deal. If you read all the performance parts installed it's easy to see how it's worth over 500. If worse comes to worse and it just simply wouldn't work, than I could just sale the thing again, but part it out. Instead of selling the car as a whole for parts, I'd just sale them separatly. I've already sold a couple catylitic converters from a Caprice at 60 bucks each, and the thing was old. I just found it in a junk yard, took off the cats, paid 20 bucks to get them, and then turned around and sold em for more. Thanks for the continuous imput. It's interesting to see different replies. I've had everything from the should be easy (which I'm not exactly believing) to the more truthful, this will be a Pain In The ArSS. We'll just have to see I guess. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You will need a computer to make the swap. The engine and tranny will fit just fine.

The 5.0 will be easier/cheaper to make more power with. It is only 215 stock, but that number can quickly change in the positive direction.