General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Convertible top not raising evenly

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:20 PM
22002ponies

Default Convertible top not raising evenly

The top on my 2002 v-6 convertible is not raising evenly. The top motor is also whinning. How do I tell if it's just the lift cylinder or if it's the motor. Does anyone have info on replacing the lifts and motor?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
notactingmyage

Default RE: Convertible top not raising evenly

Look here:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/c_convertible.html
Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 AM
hulian

just got done replacing my passenger side lift cylinder. it is really easy just takes a bit of time. if the top is just not lifting on one side it is most likely to be the cylinder. the pump is set up to run them both so if the pump goes then no lift at all. What happen to mine was that the bracket that holds the hydrolic cylinder in place came loose and then let the cylinder drop and bent it. so i had to by a new one. (FYI if you try to order a new cylinder from ford then they only can order then in pairs, they told me that after i placed the order and waited a week. i went through texas mustang. ) when it bent it also bent the brass fitting going to the cylinder so i had one made with a compression fitting end. worked great.

ok so once you do get that all back you will have to fill the pump back up and bleed the hydrolic system.(much easier if you have help). it is kinda like bleeding brakes. you make sure the fluid is full first then there is a little black rubber plug(this plug is a pain) on the pump that is where to fill. once full put finger over the hole where the plug was and have other person push the top button so it fills the lines. then let your finger off the hole and refill do this a few times, makeing sure the pump is full each time. once done put plug back in and trunk skirt back in. sounds like a pain but really not to bad.

(if you don't have help to bleed it you will have to put the little rubber plug back in each time.)

(also check your trunk for fluid, a line may have just broke going to one side makes a big mess and then you may have to replace the hole line. full line kits run about 98.00 dollars. the hydrolic cylinder will run about 115.00)

Any more questions just ask me. just got finished doing this about a week ago.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 AM
hulian

oh yah, all there is to getting to the lifts is taking that little pannel out that where the back speakers are. couple of push pin plastic clips and a couple of screws. i also took the seat belt buck loose at the floor board(uses a star bit) to remove the plastic pannel.