General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Making a noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:12 AM
pony_stoked

Default Making a noise

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew what is going on with a sound that my car makes. The noise is a high pitched sound that sounds like something is winding up. It kind of sounds like the noise when I turn my wheel when making a u-turn, but it mainly makes the sound in the lower gears, when under accelerating. I have no check engine lights on or anything like that. The car pulls like a 1999 V6 should but I just don't know what the noise is. It is just kind of bugging me when I don't have the radio on. If anyone has any ideas on what it could be let me know. thanks.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Making a noise

could the belt be slipping
Old 10-08-2006, 05:25 AM
pony_stoked

could be I'll have to really inspect it closer tomorrow with some good light. I kinda looked at the belt but may not have been reving it enough to see it slip.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

I don't believe you can see a
belt slip. If the inner surface
looks checked you should
replace it. Also check lrvel
of ps unit fluid.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Check the power steering fluid
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 PM
pony_stoked

Thank you guys for the advise. I'm just getting into the whole car thing and don't know much but hope to learn a lot here.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

could be many things...
Bad ground, causing a whine that sounds like its going with your engine rpm to come out of the speakers. low trans fluid, bad throwout bearing.

I highly doubt it's powersteering, or belt related from the way you make it sound, but it is possible.
Powersteering you can tell by just sitting idling & turning your wheel one way or the other. If you hear the whine you are talking about then that's it.
Belts will usually make a VERY loud screeching noise & when it does it will in most cases go away after a bit of the engine staying at a constant speed.

In any case, it's free to check the ground, just stick your ear up next to one of the speakers & slowly rev the engine see if you can hear it.

Then do the same thing, have the car in neutral, clutch out. Rev the car slowly let the rpm climb & listen for it. Then do the same thing, but this time with the clutch in. If one way it makes the noise & the other does not. It's in your transmission.

Check these for now & let us know what you've found out. If nothing, we'll go further I'll give you a few more possibilities, these are just the most common.