General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ate 3 belts in two days

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

Default ate 3 belts in two days

So i was goin to the store and i opened up the the trhottle really hard. i floored it through first and second then pulled up to a light and then floored it through first. once i let up i herad this horrible noise. i had peeled my belt and some of the ribs were flailing around and whipping the under side of my hood. Any way i had the car towed to a show where they put on a new belt. we started it up and with a little bit of gas, it shredded that one too. we found that it was a bad pully and some lose screws. so we tightened everything up and put another belt on. they said id be fine until they puly they ordered came in. halfway home, the new belt comes lose! the steering wentout, the batter stopped charging -the belt wasnt touching anything! i was pissed but the left the shop in a truck and tightened it up for me on the side of the road. i rove home and as i got in my neighborhood, horrible belt squeek started. i drove it back to the shop the next day where they gave me a new pully and another belt.
Now, when i rev my engine to redline (7K) in neutral, the belt squeeks. i asked them about this and they said i shouldnt rev in neutral because it damages the belt. WTF? i asked how am i supposed to drive fast if I cant rev it high and they told me to give it about a week to break the belt in. Whatn do you guys think? Should I really have to "break in" a belt or are they BSing me and just hoping that my belt wont peel again?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
alexr
★★★★★

Default RE: ate 3 belts in two days

yes you should give it some time and break it in.

and yes, you can very well (very easily) damage your engine revving it to high rpms in neutral.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

high rpm, with no load = flying pieces of engines nono very bad

also the belt will lost that shiny coating and shoudlnt squeal any more after about 100 miles.

i hope you checked all the other pullies to make sure none are seizing up. think they all got the same wear on them, only 1 going bad ?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:57 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Spray some brake cleaner on the pullies while the car is running. When youre doing this itll squeal like crazy, then it should go away after a few seconds. BTW, the pully WILL shoot brake cleaner back at you so at bare minimum wear some safety glasses or better yet a face sheild.
The brake cleaner is actually a degreaser, it should remove any unwanted oil, coolant, atf, etc from the pullies surfaces.
-P.
PS: You might have to repeat this process several times.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Ill take it easy for a hundred miles or so. Its just no fun not being able to drive my car as fast as I want you know.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:53 AM
dapack69
1st Gear Member

You have to break a belt in?[sm=bs.gif] Right before I race my car I put a new belt on, this way its not stretched out at all and I get no belt slip with the supercharger.

You can rev as high as you want in neutral the computer has a built in rev limiter that will only allow it to go so high in neutral, unless you had this removed via a tune. Something has to be wrong with your pullies as mentioned before.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Shredding belts like that is usually a sign of a bearing failure.One of the bearings has or is failing and can't keep the belt in line with the other pullies.As the belt rides up over the outer rib,it tears and fails.
Look at one of the idler pulleys as a likely suspect.
Spraying brake cleaner into any bearing washes the lube out and will cause early failure.
You can use a long wooden dowel or screwdriver to listen for rough sounding bearings.Anything but a smooth sound coming out is a sign of impending doom.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dapack69

You have to break a belt in?[sm=bs.gif] Right before I race my car I put a new belt on, this way its not stretched out at all and I get no belt slip with the supercharger.

You can rev as high as you want in neutral the computer has a built in rev limiter that will only allow it to go so high in neutral, unless you had this removed via a tune. Something has to be wrong with your pullies as mentioned before.
Expand your horizons a bit... That two-step rev limiter is only in the S197 stangs.

Yes you do have to break a belt in, the importance of it is minor though, but if you throw a new belt on there and go for a day at the track right away there's a pretty high chance that belt isn't going to stay on, especially in a supercharged application. The belts do stretch a little as they wear in.

Like it's been said, you may have a bad pulley, the idler pulley on the 4.6 stangs is known to go bad. Mine threw a belt stock at 11,000 miles, I replaced the belt and it's been fine for another 15,000 miles. Anyway, if the squeak isn't gone in a week, the tensioner may need to be tightened up a bit.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

is your 281 built? with a cobra crank - or is it a 281 -e

im wondering about that 7k redline and 521
Old 11-08-2006, 03:40 AM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

haha yes the engine is totally built as well as the transmission and the rear end. The wooden dowel trick worked on the pullies and the idler pully as bad. We replaced it but when doing so, noticed abnormal wear on the little **** on the timing chain cover that it sits on. Is this OK? I replaced the belt and the pully and the squeak is gone now, I just dont want another nasty suprise. PS the rev limiter is set at 7k.