General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaking (T top)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaking (T top)

Ok I have a 1978 V8 Mustang II with T tops. We installed new weather stripping ourselves on the T-tops and wheere the door shuts. Ok well, on my passenger side T-top it leaks through the t top by the head rest area right next to the window, but through the t top.

Then. My windows don't touch the weather stripping on the T top for both windows. and lets water go through it. I have about 8 towels in my car and today afterschool, every one was dripping wet.

So the top part of both my windows do not touch the weatherstipping on the T top. It's not a HUGE gap but you have to look closely to notice it. We are thinking bout taking the t tops off, and now since the weather stripping has aged a lil (4 months) it's not as puffy so we are going to take them off and put them back on which will hopefully make my windows touch.

Also the water when it leaks throught the t top doesn't go around the weather stripping but goes through the t top and leaks in my car. We are going to Re calk it so that won't happen anymore.

But my main question is what would you guys do? Because i'm sick of it!!! We put new carpet in it too, so I don't want tmy carpet to get all wet and moldy and smell like the old one. ALSO just sick of having to worry at school when it rains and don't know how bad my car is leaking and am always worrying and hate when it rains because it leaks considerbly.

So what would you guys do?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaking (T top)

Grin and bear it. I replaced all my top weatherstripping and it still leaks a little. The windows don't line up right due to wear in the track. It's a PITA, last T-top I'll ever own.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 AM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

Yea we are going to try our best, I don't even use the t top anyway. So I'm thinking just calk or seal it all of so they can't come out so it doesn't leak. But yea thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

just adjus the window. take the door panel off and you can access the window mounts...the window can move all over. i had that problem with mine. took like 10 mins to fix even will the old weather stripping. it poured like 2 days ago and my car is dry. the adjusts are usually easy to find. there is also a book you can buy off ebay n stuff that is based just on leaking t tops