General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are these 1/4 mile times normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:05 PM
96FLMustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Are these 1/4 mile times normal?

Thats funny, the v-6's that I saw run at the track ran 16's. Thats not exactly good. It was very humid when I went and was in the high 80's so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. There doesn't seem to be a lot to practice with a auto at the track. A stick is much harder to learn to launch etc. I usually just hit the brake with my left foot then give it a little gas to say 2500 rpm just before my rear tires break away. Thats how I launch.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96FLMustang

Thats funny, the v-6's that I saw run at the track ran 16's. Thats not exactly good. It was very humid when I went and was in the high 80's so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. There doesn't seem to be a lot to practice with a auto at the track. A stick is much harder to learn to launch etc. I usually just hit the brake with my left foot then give it a little gas to say 2500 rpm just before my rear tires break away. Thats how I launch.
a split port auto will run high 15s

it may be slow, but the car also has alot of miles on it how long have you owned it for? was it abused before hand?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Colorado has it right... you should invest in a stall converter. That should get you into the HP smoother and make your run a lot stronger overall... I used to have a 5.0 GT some years ago with an auto and can say that they pretty much needs a stall converter. Although I never did the mod (did a bunch of other bolt ons... the only one that I think did any real good was the 3.73s) I looked into them and don't remember them to be all that expensive... Now, I don't know what it would take to install it or how much it would cost if you were to bring it to someone. I do think that it is worth looking into... For reference, I drive a 97 cobra with a few mods. Stock is rated at 13.9 in the quarter, though I never have taken it to the track as there isn't anything but an eighth mile jobber down the road... It may be me but I want to be able to wring out the HP if I am going to take it to a track. Until then, it is just racing on the street (in a responsible fasion of course)...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 AM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

If you have auto take it out and put in manual. I just let my buddy drive my manual today and he said a car is a car if it has manual, if it has auto its just a means to get from point A to point B.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 AM
99SlvrStang
1st Gear Member

Colorado has it right... you should invest in a stall converter. That should get you into the HP smoother and make your run a lot stronger overall... I used to have a 5.0 GT some years ago with an auto and can say that they pretty much needs a stall converter. Although I never did the mod (did a bunch of other bolt ons... the only one that I think did any real good was the 3.73s) I looked into them and don't remember them to be all that expensive... Now, I don't know what it would take to install it or how much it would cost if you were to bring it to someone. I do think that it is worth looking into... For reference, I drive a 97 cobra with a few mods. Stock is rated at 13.9 in the quarter, though I never have taken it to the track as there isn't anything but an eighth mile jobber down the road... It may be me but I want to be able to wring out the HP if I am going to take it to a track. Until then, it is just racing on the street (in a responsible fasion of course)...
get a shift kit too
Old 11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
96FLMustang
1st Gear Member

Its my daily driver also but I might just look into that stall converter. My car has 140,000 on it and the transmission, eventhough it shows not signs of trouble, I can't imagine it going that much longer without giving out. Thats when I'll put the 5 speed in I think. This weekend I hope to install the PI intake manifold and that hopefully will put me in the 14's. If not, then very close.