General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bubbly-looking paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:04 AM
98blackstang

Default Bubbly-looking paint

I'm new to this forum-so please forgive if this one has cropped up before: I bought my 1998 Mustang new. If this matters, I got it from Dearborn-not picked up on the lot. I noticed these "bubbly" looking splots on the hood for the first time when it was about 2-years old. The guy who did detailing for me, said they were from bird poop! Claimed birds ate berries, and the acid got to the paint.
Okay....never heard that one before, but since, I've gotten more bubbly splotches----ALL ON THE HOOD. Nowhere else. And bids poop all over, right?

Again, these are little-solid bubbles...they haven't cracked through the paint.

What do you all think? Lousey paint job? Was a sealant put on before the paint was sprayed on?

MOST IMPORTANT--what happens if I take it to a Maaco-Type place to get a new paint job? Will these darned bubbles come back??
I do love this car......even tho I went cheap and didn't upgrade from the 3.8.

Please feel to email me directly, or post.

Thanks for ANY info and thoughts!

linda
ldpasier@comcast.net
Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bubbly-looking paint

If they are coming up from the paint I would say
that when the paint was put on that an impurity
was on the primered surface.
If you are going to repaint the car you would
need to sand down to the primer and reprimer
the surface.
If you are taking it to macco then it does not matter.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Not knowing where and how it was painted, I can definitely tell you what causes this condition. If the clear coat was sprayed before the base color was allowed to dry completely, it will bubble up through the clear. But this condition would indicate it was recently painted. If you purchased the car new, it would have been painted at the factory. Are you sure that you dont have some type of chemical contamination on the clear? Can you post some pics?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Here's a link to a TSB about paint contamination.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...onpartical.pdf

If the paint has actually started to "bubble" and is separating from the underlying body,it will have to be completly removed down to the bare fiberglass.(is the hood made out of fiberglass on a 98?) Corrosion (rust) is the cause of bubbling on steel body panels but I'm not sure about fiberglass.Bubbling on a new paint job is called "solvent pop".It can be tiny spots where the paint has come off down to the primer in pin hole size dots to large bubbles.The causes are exactly like TwotoneVert said,spraying the color coat before the primer has dried sufficiently.

Unless you are trying to sell the car to someone who won't care,DON'T GO TO MAACO.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:33 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: TwotoneVert

Not knowing where and how it was painted, I can definitely tell you what causes this condition. If the clear coat was sprayed before the base color was allowed to dry completely, it will bubble up through the clear. But this condition would indicate it was recently painted. If you purchased the car new, it would have been painted at the factory. Are you sure that you dont have some type of chemical contamination on the clear? Can you post some pics?
?? Most paint manufactures reccomend clearing after the base has flashed (generally 15-30 min depending on temp and humidity). This sounds more like there is/was some kind of chemical contamination. It might be from acid rain, bird crap (unlikley if the flaws are all over the hood).