General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:32 AM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F

Some people have more money than time. If you can afford to pay to have all the work done, then go for it. Personally i wouldnt pay to have anything installed that i can do myself, because i enjoy it.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:03 PM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

Honostly I think if you don't have any knowlage about it then you really have no business having it done to your car. I'm not saying it's not ok to pay to have something done though. If you got the money and you don't want to get your hands dirty then hey go for it but if you have a car with a V8 swap and a s/c and you have no clue how to do an oil change then somethin wrongs going on.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:30 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

This is a ridiculous thread. Different strokes for different folks. I know people that don't know anything about their Mustangs except where to put the gas in and they love their cars. One of them owns a Sonic Blue Cobra. I know a 70 year old lady that is the original owner of a 66 GT fastback. She's looking for a club to join to have some fun with her car. You won't see her under the hood. The president of our club owns seven Mustangs. He can change oil and do basic tune-up stuff, but pays to have major stuff done. You won't find anyone that is more into the Mustang scene than him. The members of our club www.svtoaseattle.com range from a professional auto technician with a Mystichrome coupe to a young woman that just bought an 06 V6 coupe and thinks it's the cutest thing ever. Statements like "it's not yours unless you built it" keep newbie's from getting involved in forums like this and learning about their cars. Do like I do: invite someone over when you're working on your car that doesn't know a lot about cars. I've done this a couple of times and it's always been appreciated.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 PM
mitmaks
2nd Gear Member

absolutely agree, gotta fix it you yourself. At least whatever you can, I can do simple mechanical stuff ie brakes, bolt ons, bodywork.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Most people out there will appreciate a car that's been built by the owner rather than someone going out and plunking down a check. I have talked to owners who did just that,wrote a check,and couldn't even point to the supercharger.That's not to say I wouldn't admire a Ford GT just because the owner could afford one.
I personally would be intimidated as hell just to change sparkplugs in a car like that.I wonder how much it would cost to fix a sparkplug hole on a GT head????? What if I stripped a COP hold down bolt????? What will people think when they find out I did something this stupid????What about the OWNER,since I will never be able to buy something like that???
OH GOD,WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!
I guess someone who has never worked on a car before would be torn up by a 4.6 engine too.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

first off the question asked " does it make it MORE yours "

not "should be allowed to own a mustng and call it yours" and absolutely , yes, you feel a closer bond to your car w/ some busted knuckles and know exactly what spots to avoid when changing your plugs, or whatever.

75% of the work done to most mustangs is simple, no tech involved, some bolt-ons, exhaust etc. if you can figure out what end of the socket goes where you can replace your entire exhaust, replace an alt, power steering pump, trans , clutch, whatever the case may be.

everytime i get another 5.0, it usually takes about a year before i don't feel like i borrowed it. by then i'll have nitrous, gears (no i let a shop them) , exhaust , new tune etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

first off the question asked " does it make it MORE yours "
The title of both the poll and the thread is:
A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Whythors... both your first and second posts are where this poll is, if you know what I mean... I will throw in here that the following counts for making a car "more yours"...

Busting your knuckles turning a wrench to it, driving hard until you break something, and doing the wrench turning thing again...

Busting your knuckles detailing it, with pride in knowing that you own a gorgeous piece of American muscle and want to "show it off"...

Getting paper cuts on your knuckles turning pages of Mustang books/magazines as an owner of on or the more rare cars. You may not even drive it, but you know what every last code of every VIN that came on a Mustang means...

I am a little in each catagory... least so in the detailing part... but I am on my 3rd stang (still have two of them) and no one can tell me that the cars are less mine... I can't see ever owning anything else and wouldn't take a trade up on them either...