General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Mustang GT Auto versus Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Redstalliongt

Default 2005 Mustang GT Auto versus Manual

Im writing this on here because Im sick and tired of people criticizing me because I got an Auto GT. Almost everyone gives me grief cause I bought an auto. I got a great deal at the dealership by buying the auto GT with only 16,000 miles on it. Anyways, Ive read alot of good things about the new 5 speed automatic that they use in these cars. Besides the whole fact of losing the "fun factor" of having a manual, how much performance am I losing by having an automatic? I think the thing is fast as hell. Feedback would be appreciated thanks alot.

Lee
Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Auto versus Manual

Autos take away power, generally about 20% as compared to the 15% of a manual, on average. Ford installed a shorter 1st gear in the auto to help it out, but the manual also has a shorter 1st gear.

BTW, the auto in your Stang is a derivative of the C3 from the Falcon in the early 60's...which was designed to hold the power from a 110hp 6-banger. It's also the same thing that's been used in 6-banger Explorers...
Old 12-02-2006, 03:56 AM
Redstalliongt

so your saying my gt is slow then? theres a big difference between old banger explorers and a 300 hp car...
Old 12-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

It is slower than the manual.

I don't think you know how to read. The second paragraph basically says the tranny is crap...

And, before you get too big of a head, there are plenty of 1st gen Explorers that'd gladly show you their tail lights. Beware the Explorer driver with a sly grin and deep exhaust.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:19 AM
Redstalliongt

maybe you should google it and see all the good things about it before you diss something. And why would you just come out and call something crap, you are a hater dude...bad attitude.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:29 AM
Fast Toys
Banned

Stock to stock, the manual is faster. Put a stall converter in your auto and some sticky tires and suddenly, the tables will be turned. Most drag cars are automatics for a reason! The torque converter can multiply torque, get you into the power band instantly, is easier on the drivetrain and the trans is more consistent.

However, if you want to road race or auto-x, the manual is superior because you can hold any gear you want and if you are good, not upset the chasis with up/downshifts. It also gives the driver more control which is a benefit.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Redstalliongt

Thanks alot for useful info. Im gonna order a torque converter after christmas. Probably some gears too. 3.73s or 4.10s thanks.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:57 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fast Toys

Stock to stock, the auto is faster. Put a stall converter in your auto and some sticky tires and suddenly, the tables will be turned. Most drag cars are automatics for a reason! The torque converter can multiply torque, get you into the power band instantly, is easier on the drivetrain and the trans is more consistent.

However, if you want to road race or auto-x, the manual is superior because you can hold any gear you want and if you are good, not upset the chasis with up/downshifts. It also gives the driver more control which is a benefit.
Where the hell did you get that information?? [:@] Stock for stock, an auto can't keep up with a Stick so long as the stick driver knows what he is doing. And, yes you CAN modify an auto to improve things considerably. The stall converter will help from a dead start in drag racing, but will add permanent extra slip in all other driving modes, right? Bottom line, if you drag race your car a LOT then a stall converter rocks, but doesn't do you much good anywhere else.

You can add a shift kit (either via a programmer or a physical kit) into an auto and that will firm up shifts a LOT and really improve performance drivability. It'll even reduce tranny oil temperatures.

Top fuel drag cars use auto trannies for several reasons. Who's got time to shift if you can do the entire 1/4 mile in 5 seconds? And, those cars are making something like 5-6000 horsepower so, who's gonna notice if you lose a few of them thru the driveline? lol You "street driven auto guys" need to stop making comparisons to top fuel drag cars, it's apples to oranges.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

Fixed my typo (late night typing). It should have read "stock to stock, the manual is faster" and then I explained how to make the auto faster.

Drag racing is about consistency as much as who is the fastest. An auto will be more consistent because there is less input required from the driver. The torque coverter also multiplies torque off the line so you can achieve harder launches. You can load the converter prior to your launch. You can even install a trans brake. If you have a turbo, an auto allows you to build boost off the line as well. Less shifts also = less time lost during shifts.

FAR more people use autos for drag racing than manual (I am not talking about top fuel. The REALLY powerful cars that can give up some power in return for added brute strength will often even go to a TWO speed auto! You will often see performance cars perform a swap from a manual to an automatic.

As you increase stall speed, the car will feel more "loose" and unresponsive on the street at part throttle. For that reason, you usually keep the stall speed under 3000 RPM for a primary streeet driven car. For the highway, 4th gear locks up the converter so there is no slippage when cruising like that.

I know the performance community feels manuals are more fun (and my sports cars are all manuals because I personally enjoy that too) but a properly set up auto can be brutally quick and consistent.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I have researched this tranny. Do you have any idea how many TSB's and recalls this tranny has caused? Must not. Maybe it's better than it used to be, but it's still a C3 derivative that's been a problem for Ford since its incarnation. They stopped using the C3 because it couldn't reliably handle the power. Explorers are known for their transmission problems.
ORIGINAL: Redstalliongt

maybe you should google it and see all the good things about it before you diss something. And why would you just come out and call something crap, you are a hater dude...bad attitude.