General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flooded Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Micah1234

Default Flooded Mustang

My mom got a 1976 Cobra II when she was 16. she still has it, we took it to get inspected while it was there there was bad rain, the shop was on a flood plain and it got flooded, the whole car got submerged under water. The Insurence company gave us very little for it, The shop drained the gas and oil and cleaned the tanks. I think i'm going to fix it up, but I don't know were too start? I started by taking all the interior out, But where should i go from here? and is there a place to find interior for a 1976 Cobra II?
Thanks alot
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Flooded Mustang

Ouch dude you're in for a LOT of work! Totally flooded? Like as in water above the top of the roof?!?

Yea interior is a good start, including the dashboard probably. As far as the driveline goes,, drain EVERYTHING including stuff like the brake fluid. Flush it all out good. Don't even think of cranking over the engine until ALL the water is out of it. Take the sparkplugs out before cranking the engine the first time
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
dadoordude

Default RE: Flooded Mustang

I suggest pulling the motor apart, check the cylinders for wear, if needed use a ball hone to lightly clean up the cylinders if they do not need to be bored, I'm certain the water will leave a little rust in the cylinders when dry and can stick a ring, once you turn the motor over, boom a broken ring not to mention all the internal bearings, rods, mains etc I would replace the bearings while it is apart along with a set of rings, a stock motor kit is not that much,dont forget to soak the timing chain in a bucket of oil, put something under the chain to keep it off the bottom of the bucket, swish it around every now and then,the water will eventually sink to the bottom