General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Meter Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Ontherocks98
2nd Gear Member

Default Auto Meter Gauges?

I'm looking to mod my car a bit more. It's a v6- already has white face plates, dual exhaust, 18 inch chromies and a gt bumper. I'm def. thinking about throttle body spacers, CAI, and maybe Auto Meter Gauges. I think they def. look kick *** in a car and add style and uniquness to the car. If i was to get any, i would think id get a Air Fuel Ratio and also a Trans Tempature Gauge.

Does anyone have gauges and can let me know what their opinion of them is? And what about installation and all that jazz..i assume connections must be made, and it seems as if the gauges come with all necessary equipment for the job.

thanks

btw: Im looking on http://www.rpmoutlet.com/guageprd.htm
Old 01-09-2005, 11:28 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Auto Meter Gauges?

well the air/fuel is a waste of $$$ in your case..the trans temp gauge is a great choice
Old 01-09-2005, 01:48 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I'm using AutoMeter gauges exclusively in my drag racer '88 and would recommend them to everyone. I like the Sport Comp 2-5/8" diameter ones, big and easy to read. you do need to get either a gauge mount panel or individual cups to mount them in though as they don't come with the basic gauge although the flat panel mounting brackets that hold the gauges in do come with them. I've got the monster 5" tach with shift light, mechanical oil pressure, fuel pressure, and engine temperature gauges, and electrical tranny temp and volt gauges on mine. I used the Autometer 3 gauge panel that goes into the center AC vent to mount 3 of them and the oil and fuel gauges I mounted outside the car in gauge cups mounted on the cowl just at the base of the windshield. Look at the pic in my signature and you can see them sitting there in flat black color.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:59 PM
03Muskrat
2nd Gear Member

all ive got is the autometer a/f and i like it.... it has come in handy sometimes actually, like when the intake joint comes apart [:@] i actually moved my cigarette lighter to the flat section of the console and drilled a 2 inch hole where the hole for the cigarette lighter was and stuck the guage in there, it actually looks pretty sweet
Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Ontherocks98
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys, what about installation and wiring and such? any info would be great!

peace
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

wiring the gauges is very straighforward to do and not all that hard. most gauges use three wires, one is a ground wire, the other is 12 volt power from the dash light circuit to light the gauge face at night, and the final wire is the sensor wire coming from the sending unit which you install on the engine. that's if you go with electrical gauges, not mechanical ones, and they are just fine for most driving purposes too. for mechanical gauges, you will get a small diameter plastic line in the box with the gauge and some brass fittings which usually allow you to install the gauge in place of the existing stock sending unit for whatever is being measured. for a temp gauge, you need to drain down the radiator to below the level of the lower intake manifold so when you remove the existing temp sending unit, you don't leak a big bunch of antifreeze. for oil pressure, you don't have to worry much about any leaking if you let the engine cool down the oil will all run back down into the pan and not come out the short pipe extension where the sending unit is mounted next to the oil filter. it makes things neater and easier to troubleshoot later if you get at least two or three different colors of wire and use the same color for the same service on each gauge. for example, use red for the 12 volt power, green for the ground, and black for the sensor wiring. most gauges work fine with the use of 16 gauge automotive rated wire to install them and get a good quality terminal kit with crimp on terminals to make your connections with and you will be OK. you can get all this at most auto parts places like NAPA. I like to use plug-in type crimped on connections so I can unplug the gauge later if I need to remove it for any reason. and finally the easiest place to run wires from inside the car out to the engine is through an existing hole in the firewall that already has some other wiring or cable running through it. I used the speedometer cable opening on my Fox body but don' think the newer models still use a cable, but there are plenty of other holes if you just look around some for them. just make sure the power wiring is connected to a power source that is only hot when the ignition key is turned on so you don't shut off the car and get out with power still going to the lights on the gauges or this will run down the battery.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Ontherocks98
2nd Gear Member

sorry to bump this, but does anyone know where to get some good gauge pillars? like the ones that sit on your dashboard like this one?

i know i gave everyone this link:http://www.rpmoutlet.com/guageprd.htm
but they dont have the ones im looking for, and i was wondering if anyone call direct me in the way to get it!

BOOYAH!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

try autometer at http://hp.autometer.com/products/mou...d_mustang.html
this is just one of many options they have for mounting gauges but this one looks just like the one you showed.