General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

broken belt, help please

Old 01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

Default broken belt, help please

well, i'll try to keep this short.

the ATI blower ate a belt yesterday. managed to pull into a safeway/vons parking lot and then replaced the belt. i had a photocopy of the needed belt with me in the car and needless to say I got the wrong part at checkers. the belt is too big and there is too much slack, kinda like a rubberband. it was getting dark so i drove 2 miles home and on the way the SERVICE ENGINE SOON Solid light came on. now the car is sitting at home in the garage and i dont know how best to proceed.

i bought a different brand belt the exact size needed (27mm X 2760mm Micro-V belt ) and want to replace it but dont want to screw up the engine. should i put on the smaller belt? drive it in to be fixed? or should i tow the car in to be fixed? and what about the check engine light, could that be from belt slippage?

any help would be great and extremely appreciated!

Paul
Old 01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Default RE: broken belt, help please

Odds are that you weren't spinning the accessories correctly with the larger belt. The computer probably just sensed that there wasn't enough oil pressure or something silly like that (HAHA)

You've installed the new belt. If you don't have a code scanner...Unhook the negative terminal from the battery for about 5 mins. Put it back on and start the car. Let it run for a few minutes, and if the light doesn't come back on...You're all good. I seriously doubt it's any big deal. If the larger belt was slipping, it just freaked the computer out.

Best bet it to run over to Autozone and have them pull the code for you. Then buy the $150 scanner so you have it in the future. I bought one a couple years ago, and have used it a billion times. It's worth having.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

thanks for your input...sidewayz

after i install the smaller belt, i'll try to disconnect the neg bat cable and hope it resets the computer that it solves the issue. if that doesn't work i'm gonna either scan it or to the shop (as its a daily driver and not worth the down time)

are there any reccomended scanner brands?

Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

how many miles on car? usually every 40k miles, the service engine soon light comes on to tell you take it to the dealer
Old 01-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: AtlanticBlue99

how many miles on car? usually every 40k miles, the service engine soon light comes on to tell you take it to the dealer
Are you kidding me or are you seriously saying this...

As for PDK, did your blower belt break or did your accessory belt break...I'm not quite sure which you're talking about. If your blower belt broke and you can't find the right size you need to keep from increasing/decreasing boost, you should have the car towed to a performance shop for repairs if you are having trouble.

As for an accessory belt, take a piece of string and wrap it around the pullies as directed and measure the length of the string, head off to the store and get a new one.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:20 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

sorry i didnt see that the belt was broken []. i thought the install went fine and the light came on for no reason.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

...Did you even read the topic of this thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:31 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

sorry but i even confuse myself, im learning as i go.

it was the serpentine belt turning the engine crank, blower, ac, water pump, etc. It connects to the blower also so i'm really not sure what its called.

the service engine soon light came on after i drove a little bit with the loose belt on.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I knew what you were talking about. The same belt runs the blower and accessories.

Just do what I tells ya and you'll be fine.