General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Stangforlife

Default Grinding Noise

I made a thread about this a while ago, but I didn't have much information on the problem yet so it was kind of a shot in the dark. I have a 2000 5-speed 3.8 V6 with about 68k miles, and lately I've been hearing a rather loud grinding/growling noise at speeds below 20MPH. It's a very deep, low resonance sound, almost as if I were dragging a big block of cement behind my car, and I'm pretty sure I'm not lol. It doesn't make a difference whether I am in neutral or in gear nor if I mess with the clutch or the brakes. I had new front brake pads put in and resurfaced my rear rotors about a year ago, but this didn't start until recently. Not long before this I also had problems with a whining/scratching noise coming from my brakes that seems to be gone now, only to be replaced by this.

Any ideas what this could be? Rear differential? Transmission/clutch? Wheel bearings? U joint? I appreciate your help--I'm trying to isolate the problem before I take it to a shop and get wrung over the coals, haha. 'Bout ready to get my wallet out and light some dollar bills on fire.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Murdoc
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Grinding Noise

my friend had a similar problem in his honda. it turned out to be his transmission. i cant guarantee this is what your problem is tho.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

does it only happen in first, or does the gear that its in not matter??
Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Stangforlife

It happens even when I'm in neutral. It also happens when I'm in both first and second, too, but it seems to go away before I get out of second. I've tried gliding to a stop in netural and in gear and it doesnt go away until I'm at a complete stop under any condition. Overall it doesnt seem to matter what gear I'm in.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

check your u joints for wear and play, your driveshaft runout, and rear tranny bushing.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

It's probably your rear diff or a wheel bearing... you should get it checked & fixed soon.

Try jacking up the front wheels & give them a spin by hand, & also grab the raised wheel from the top & bottom & try to wobble it. You could try it as well to raise both rear wheels off the ground then GENTLY put it in gear & hear if the sound is coming from back there

Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Stangforlife

Thanks for your help guys. I started getting suspicious that it was my rear brakes, so I took it over to Les Schwab this afternoon since I just had them inspect them two months ago. God I hate that place. Those people would try to sell you a pen out of your own pocket if they could.

But anyway, the guy told me it was definitely my rear pads. This is interesting, because my outside pads have at least 80% life on them, so he told me it was an inside pad and the piston wasnt resetting. According to him, the pad got warn down to nothing and the metal was scraping against the rotor. Sure enough, he tried to sell me on a full brake-job for just over $400. Something is wrong in Denmark because when they inspected my brakes two months ago due to squeaking, I was told it was rust on my rotors and my pads were fine.

It sounds like a bunch of BS to me, so I am going to have to get the jack out and take a looksie for myself, like I actually have the time for that. To top it off, it was shocks and struts special month, so the friggin idiot tried to make up a story to convince me I needed new ones when I just replaced them last year. I was about to put my foot down his throat.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stangforlife

Thanks for your help guys. I started getting suspicious that it was my rear brakes, so I took it over to Les Schwab this afternoon since I just had them inspect them two months ago. God I hate that place. Those people would try to sell you a pen out of your own pocket if they could.

But anyway, the guy told me it was definitely my rear pads. This is interesting, because my outside pads have at least 80% life on them, so he told me it was an inside pad and the piston wasnt resetting. According to him, the pad got warn down to nothing and the metal was scraping against the rotor. Sure enough, he tried to sell me on a full brake-job for just over $400. Something is wrong in Denmark because when they inspected my brakes two months ago due to squeaking, I was told it was rust on my rotors and my pads were fine.

It sounds like a bunch of BS to me, so I am going to have to get the jack out and take a looksie for myself, like I actually have the time for that. To top it off, it was shocks and struts special month, so the friggin idiot tried to make up a story to convince me I needed new ones when I just replaced them last year. I was about to put my foot down his throat.
i wouldnt trust a word those guys say. take it somewhere more "professional" and see what they say.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Stangforlife

I tend to agree with you there. Although, I did feel the inside of the rear drivers side rotor this morning and it was completely demolished, so he was right about that much. As far as what was causing it and how to fix it, I think he was being a little overzealous. My best bet is probably to just buy a brand new set of rotors, calipers, and pads and do the work myself.

Speaking of which, does anyone know a good set of rotors, calipers, and pads? Money is an object, so I am looking for cost effectiveness and reliability more so than high performance. And if its only the one side I'm having a problem with, can I just put a new caliper and pads on that side for now or do I have to make sure they both match, like the rotors?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I just finished my rears. I had a similar problem, but I quit driving in when I found out what was wrong. I know you have newer model, but my rotors are built so they slide on pins, one of the pins on both sides was completed rusted froze. I had to break them loose and clean them up. They work fine now. Dont know if it helps, but it could be something to look at.