General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

break issues. advise please.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:05 AM
stealthyone
1st Gear Member

Default break issues. advise please.

Ok, this is driving me nutz... I just bought a used 2002 Mustang GT. when I gently press the breaks i get this god awful squeel. My thought was that its pads were shot. well.... that aint it. the pads are darn near new! Plenty of pad left.

second issue... when coming to a stop there is a bit of drag like the breaks are slightly applied. if I slowly coast to a stop, like the lasst few feet at a stop light, it will stop like I am using the breaks. iff I stop on a slight hil, the car will not roll back. it once again feels like the breaks are slightly applied.

Third issue.... Major break dust on my rims. once again like my breaks are being applied while driving...

Im thinking that maybe my calipers are not releasing totally? I just pulled off my front tires and there was a noticible ammount of resistance trying to turn the hub with my hand. once again like maybe my calipers arent releasing..

any advise? Im thinking that I need to pull off the calipers and clean/re-grease the bolts that hold them on the car, but will that fix my issue? It is hotter than hades here during the day, so I dont want to spend all day out there messing around.

Thanks for any and all ideas,

Mike
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 AM
stealthyone
1st Gear Member

Default RE: break issues. advise please.

Yep Im a moron.... I just realized i diddnt spell Brakes correctly. I dont care. I have been working since 2:00 PM yesterday, and now i am trying to quiet my brakes.... ARGH!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
DraKhen99
1st Gear Member

Looks like someone put GM (eg, ACDelco) brake pads on your mustang - I had a 2001 V6 that the mechanic put a sec of ACDelco's on there, and they squealed like a sumbich. Go get Ford OEM pads and put 'em on, I'd be willing to bet that that will fix it. I might get this backwards, but Mustangs come with Metallic, and if you put ceramic on, they squeal, or they came stock with ceramic, and the metallic ones squeal - either way, you put non-OEM on, and they squeal.

The wrong pads can also cause a lot more brake dust to accumulate. You may want to wax your rims or something to help prevent brake dust buildup.

As for the other issue, you might have a bad wheel bearing or something - someone with more experience there might be able to better help you.

-John
Old 08-13-2007, 01:15 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

From what you are describing, you have worn the rotors and pads down to metal on metal. Take your finger, when the brakes are cool, and feel the rotor. If you see or feel grooves, time for new rotors and pads. Get it fixed imeadiately. Welcome to the board!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
DraKhen99
1st Gear Member

The rotors may be worn, but the OP says the pads look new??

-John
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
stealthyone
1st Gear Member

the rotors are nice and smooth. Heck they feel new as well, but I kow they are not. My pad material is about 3/8 inch thick, so those arent worn down either...

Ok, I pulled the pads off the rear wheels as that is where most of the noise is coming from and found on the end of the pads where they slide onto the calipers there are metal clips on bothe pads on the drivers side, but not on the passengers side. I called Ford and the parts guy said they were something like an adelade clip (dont quote me on the name...) and thet they simply were there to keep the brakes from squealing. I can order them at 18 bucks apiece, and for each corner I would need 4! He said after market pads normally dotn come with them, but that factory pads do. While I had the pads off I used that Brake quiet grease on all the points that the pads touch the caliper and piston, as well as put fresh lube on the pins that allow the calipers to slide back and forth to keep the disk centered.

All in all my brakes look like they are in great shape, but they just SQUEEK! granted it seems like it is just the one corner now that dosent have the fancy clips. I guess Ill live with it untill I buy new pads for the rear, then Ill try ford factory pads and see if they come with the clips, other wise I might try Hawk or something like that.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

Usually when you brakes start to squeek its because the wear indicator has reached the rotor, basically there are metal clips on your brakes and when the brake meterial wears so much the clip touches the rotor and squeels letting you know your brakes are almost due for a change .. Hell ive taken a pair of pliers and bent the indicators back so i can get a few thousand more miles out of my brakes ... If thats not the problem try using Morse ceramic pads they have always worked good for me ...