General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

without voiding warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 09:34 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: without voiding warrenty

well guys, if u take a look at my sig you can see that i finally said fvck the warrenty and im my car is living its own life. FINALLY FREE.[sm=grinangel.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 02-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dan

well guys, if u take a look at my sig you can see that i finally said fvck the warrenty and im my car is living its own life. FINALLY FREE.[sm=grinangel.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]

[sm=nxsmile.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 02-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bob Mac

I wonder if this includes Roush stuff? I doubt it, as Roush sells a lot of stuff through Ford dealers and other retailers. I agree with the guys talking about warranty laws.

my dealership said i couldnt install any roush stuff either.... they banned roush stuff too because they dont think its a good product. they do not sell roush cars.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:23 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vizaracer

ORIGINAL: dan

[sm=nxsmile.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 02-19-2005, 04:13 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

congrats dude.

Screw the dealership, you do what you gotta do [sm=partyparty.gif]
Old 02-20-2005, 01:42 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004 GT RagTop

congrats dude.

Screw the dealership, you do what you gotta do [sm=partyparty.gif]
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

All you have to do is read the handbook that comes with your car.

It refers to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which means you can modify whatever you want under the limits of a SC or Nitrous as long as you do not modify the internals. You can put headers, pullies, gears, short shifters, cai and whatever you want.

You are not allowed to modify the computer at all, you cannot use forced induction. If you break parts because you take your car to the drag strip, you are not eligable for warranty work.

A dealership cannot void the warranty on your car for a part failure unless they can give you written proof that the aftermarket part you installed, DIRECTLY caused the resulting problem. So say you installed 4.10 gears and your tranny went south, they cannot void your warranty. If you installed a short shifter and your transmission crappced the bed, unless they can prove your shifter caused the failure, they have to do the warranty work.

Now here is the problem, dealerships have much much more money and legal experience than the typical person, so unless you don't mind spending time in court on a Mustang GT which isn't worth breaking a sweat over, it's best off to find a dealership or manager who is willing to abide by the law and perform the deserved work you need.
There you have it. I was looking for that info Dan, thanks. Also, keep in mind, this is where the brand name may help out. Vortech SC/TC for example specifically states adding one of their units to your car will not void the dealer warranty and provides the EPA numbers to contact to assist in case a dealer gets high-and-mighty or lazy. http://www.alternativeauto.com/techt...ortech.html#q8 A name brand company recognized by the dealer is less likely to get a snub up front than a generic, 'I got it on E-bay' line will. I'm not knocking the generics but the name can have some pull in cases where the dealer is trying to see how smart you are about warranties. The other thing too is make sure parts are CARB certified (those that would require it, heads, headers, intake, etc), if they're not, they can say the vehicle has been modified to race off-street (track) and that too could have a significant impact on whether the dealer will work on the car under warranty or not. Technically unless the part is the DIRECT cause, they can't say no, but as Dan stated, is it worth the attorney and sweat on the front end?