General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flashing Theft light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 AM
graduate0501

Default Flashing Theft light

Hello, I have a '97 GT that I bought in '01, about once every few years, upon startup, my "Theft" light would start flashing repeatedly and within seconds the engine would cut off. It's happening much more frequently now, where upon startup,the "Theft" light would blink repeatedly and the engine would shut down. I've taken it to a ford dealer, got charged $200 for a newly programmed key, but that didn't work. Before I take it back to waste more money on unresolved problems, can anyone tell me what is happening and how it can be fixed? This antitheft system is really rediculous. Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
ryan1101
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Flashing Theft light

The alarm system operating sequences are designed to be passive; therefore, the system can be armed or disarmed when following normal vehicle entrance and exit procedures. The following is a detailed description of the system operation:

System Arming
The system will be armed when one of the following input sequences is followed:

Turn ignition switch OFF.
Open a front door. Alarm indicator lamp flashes.
Lock the front doors with power door lock switches. Alarm indicator lamp on steady.
Close both front doors.
Wait approximately 30 seconds for alarm indicator lamp to go out. This indicates system is armed.
The system can be armed by the keyless entry remote transmitter by following this input sequence:

Turn ignition switch OFF.
Close both front doors. Alarm indicator lamp is off.
Press the LOCK button on the keyless entry remote transmitter.
Wait approximately 30 seconds for the alarm indicator lamp to turn off. This indicates the system is armed.
Disarming an Untriggered System

NOTE: Any of the following will disarm an untriggered system.

Unlock driver or passenger front doors with the key.
Unlock driver front doors by pressing UNLOCK button of keyless entry remote transmitter.
If remaining in the vehicle, turn ignition switch to RUN or ACC.
System Triggering

NOTE: Within three minutes after the system has been triggered, the horns and exterior lamps will shut off automatically. The system will then reset to an armed state and will trigger again if another intrusion occurs. However, the vehicle's starter circuit will remain disabled until the system is disarmed.

The alarm system will be activated if any of the following actions occur after the system has been armed:

opening either front door without first unlocking with door key.
removing luggage compartment door lock cylinder.
Disarming a Triggered System

NOTE: Any of the following procedures will disarm a triggered system.

Unlock driver or passenger front door with the key.
Unlock driver front door by pressing UNLOCK button of keyless entry remote transmitter.
Panic Alarm Activation
The personal security alarm can only be operated from the keyless entry remote transmitter as follows:

Pressing the button marked PANIC on the keyless entry remote transmitter will cause the horn to sound.
Also, the low beam headlamps and the parking lamps and rear lamp will flash.
NOTE: The personal security feature is controlled by the electronic door lock control processor. It is completely independent of the anti-theft alarm control module. The personal security feature can only be deactivated by pressing PANIC button again or turning the ignition switch to RUN or ACC.

See if that helps any.