General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wiring fuss... what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 PM
onyx_riddle

Default wiring fuss... what would you do?

I got a line on a 2003 with 12k for 2000$.. it was wrecked but not totaled..and strictly a need to know sale.. it really wasnt a scam..but i did miss out.

Anyway.. as soon as i heard about it.. i went out to my car and pulled the stereo for obvious reasons. ($$$$$)
It wasn't until i was done (trust me, I've done this before) that i realized that my push-button remote was no longer locking/unlocking my car.
Sometime during the removal of the stereo i remembered the aftermarket alarm system installed under the dash. Strictly curiosity and boredom led me to "fiddle".

This was a bad idea. I knew that the previous owner had to have had it shut off, i just didnt know how.
I found a blown fuse (the only apparent fault in the wiring i could see)
I replaced the fuse, but not for long..because as soon as this was done, the alarm sounded... and did not react to anything. So, well....... the speaker did not make it, yes the fuse could have just been pulled but i hated the look of that thing next to my brake booster anyway. I am positive that the leads to the speaker did NOT ground out, just in case you assume they might have.

(btw, in case you are wondering, the only branding i could find said "Silencer" This was written on the toggle switch under my hood release latch).
(I googled silencer and found the company, but that doesnt really seem to help me as much as i had hoped)

So, now, I have two symptoms.
One) The remote is not working ( i tried the "jumping of the gray connector in the trunk trick" It did what it was supposed to, but the remote didnt respond. and now it wont let me try again...do i need to disconnect the battery?)
Two) My clock (the one that everyone replaces with a dual gauge pod) stays on if i plug it up.
I took an old, rusty test light and very primitively tested the batteries of the remote, i am confident they are ok.
and thats all ive done because i am stuck.

o and i almost forgot. Since ive had the car, the switches for the AC have been screwy.. no matter what you select, you're getting defroster, and when they put the alarm system in, the cut out the defroster switch for that damn blinking light.

please help

onyx..
Old 11-03-2007, 05:35 PM
onyx_riddle

Default RE: wiring fuss... what would you do?

figured it out.