General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Strange's HD 33 spline Posi

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 AM
stevieturbo

Default Strange's HD 33 spline Posi

How strong is this for the 8.8" ?

I want an upgrade from my 31 spline Moser shaft setup after discovering a very slight twist in one when I was swappng out my spool. A spool or locker is not an option for me, they destroy the cars road manners, and I do too many miles for that.

The 2 options I am considering are a MW 31 spline shaft with my Ford Racing Torsen diff,

OR

Strange's 33 spline S/S shafts and Heavy duty posi.

With regards to the Torsen, I used a 28 spline Torsen for around 4 years, and never had any problems with it, and indeed ran my best times with it, 10.04 at 148.4mph, 3600lbs racewieght.
I only stepped up to a spool and 31spline shafts after twisting a 28spline Moser shaft, and was having trouble getting the T2-R I had ordered to use with the 31 spline shafts. So I was forced to use a spool, as it was the cheapest option to get me driving again.

Either option appears to end up at similar costs overall, as I already have the 31spline FR Torsen diff, although it's new, as I had been running a spool for a while.
Horrible horrible things.

I want a rear that will handle a few 9s passes, 150+ and get me home again without worrying about it. 255/50x15 MT DR's
But it must not use a spool or locker.

Thanks, Stevie
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Strange's HD 33 spline Posi

If you were running a spool on the street thats why you the axles were twisting. Going around a corner put alot of load on the axles because one wheel needs to turn faster but cant. Make sure the splines on the torsen, if you use it, are the same as the MW axles. A couple companies use a different spline pitch on their axles and they wont work with other carriers. Might have someone weld a brace on the axle tubes too.

The problem I see with the torsen is that if it breaks you're out of luck. And you'llprobably lose the ring and pinion too.You might just go with a Trac-Lok with extra clutches inside. That way, if they burn out you can still drive it.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:50 PM
stevieturbo

Default RE: Strange's HD 33 spline Posi

But surely if any of the conventional LS diffs break...which usually involves the diff pin or spider gears. You will also be left with no drive, and definately a busted CWP.

The outer cage on the FR Torsen certainly looks tough. It would take a lot to explode it for the debris to get into the CWP.

Although yes, if it breaks...no drive.

Not sure I have room for a brace on my car, as I have the axle 4-linked.