General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989(?) Ranger, power problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default 1989(?) Ranger, power problem

Long story short, I had to move my wifes brothers truck this morning before we could leave. I got in, power was good. Put the key in, it dinged and power was still good. Turned the key and power failed.

Put the key back to the position to take the key out and the power was fine again. I tried another 2-3 times to start with the same result, but the final time there was no power at all on reset.

Started to push the truck out of the driveway and got stuck. Figured, I might as well look under the hood. I popped the hood and all of a sudden the power slowly came back. Get in the car and try to start, same as before with no power after.

I did notice that the neg was slightly loose on the terminal. I moved it off and twisted it back on as tight as I could get it by hand, no change.

Ended up throwing my back and cracking my left knee three times off the pavement (it rained last night into the morning) pushing it out and barely back into the driveway.

WTF happened to the truck??? I don't know if they managed to get it running again, but I want some sort of idea what happened so I don't have to deal with it again. Maybe it's just me being tired from all this OT I'm working, but other than a bad ground, I can't think of anything that would make this happen.

Oh, I take that back. He was saying something about this happened to him last week! ****! I gotta get a multimeter and get this ****er an Optima and a new alt!!!

Well, it's semi-cured, but I would still like to know if anyone else here has another idea/reason this might have happened.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Duntov

Default RE: 1989(?) Ranger, power problem

does your gf know you are married?