General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Puting a Cobra 4.6 engine into a base mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Brad253

Default Puting a Cobra 4.6 engine into a base mustang

Most people have already told me it would probably be cheaper just sell my mustang and just buy a V8 cobra instead of trying to put in a new engine, but before I decide on what to do I want to know what it would take to replace a V6 3.8 engine with a Cobra 4.6 or if it is even possible.

What I need to know is:
[ul][*]If it is even possible to do without spending a huge amount of money. (more than 6-8 grand)[*]What things I would have to replace along with the engine. (my car is completely stock V6)[*]About how much it would cost.[*]What would be the cheapest and most successfull (not getting some broken engine) way to get these parts.[/ul]

So if anyone knows what they're talking about with converting engines and what it takes to do it please post how to make it happen.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Puting a Cobra 4.6 engine into a base mustang

search button you can find countless threads on this.

i dont know everything, but heres a short piece of the laundry list your gonna need

guage cluster
8.8 rear end
possibly a new drive shaft
bellhousing for your tranny or a new tranny
wiring harness
ecu
radiator
front suspension (to accomodate heavier motor)
full exhaust
lots of wrench time

and you still have v6 suspension and brakes once that is said and done.

if you do all the labor yourself, you can probably stay below the 6-8g mark. but listen to what everyone said...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Might be better to look into a used, low mileage gt motor and looking to upgrade that. All the used cobra engines I've seen tend to run too expensive. Good luck on the switch, but you'll probably change your mind once you see how the costs add up and more worse the amount of labor costs.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

Simply put: it's not worth it.

You need to upgrade your suspension, brakes, maybe even your engine mounts depending on the condition of your car. You have to change your transmission and get a better (and new) drive-shaft so that it won't snap like a twig under the torque, you need a new rear-axle and rear suspension to accomodate the new axle, as well as an exhaust system to allow more exhaust flow. You'd also need a new radiator and fan so your engine doesn't burn up, an ECU from that Cobra and installation of the ECU (which is a b*tch). I may be wrong, but you might even need a new fuel pump to accomodate the increase in fuel consumption. And to top it off: you need a new gauge cluster. It's possible: just not worth it.

It'd be cheaper (factoring in labor) to just buy a Cobra =|
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Built in a built V6 and beat up on Cobras. It's more fun.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LilRoush

Built in a built V6 and beat up on Cobras. It's more fun.
I actually agree with this. If you want something unique, spend that 6-8 grand on a twin tubo setup and forged engine etc. on your current car and then keep the stock badging and enjoy the looks on the cobra guy's faces as you blow by them.

Swapping out the engine just isn't worth it unless you get the engine/transmission etc. for next to nothing... which isn't likely to happen.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Brad253

I actually agree with this. If you want something unique, spend that 6-8 grand on a twin tubo setup and forged engine etc. on your current car and then keep the stock badging and enjoy the looks on the cobra guy's faces as you blow by them.

Swapping out the engine just isn't worth it unless you get the engine/transmission etc. for next to nothing... which isn't likely to happen.

If I were to just keep my V6 and add upgrades (Twin tubro, dual exhaust, intake, ect...) How much horse power could I get in my car?And what upgrades would be the best to get?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

How much to you want? The standing 'big dog' is Gary at 660/583 to the wheels with out tweaking and tune (new numbers for his set up should be out before the V6 Challenge March 29th). Close at his heals is Matt with 638/648 to the wheels on last years set up. But he's been quite about his new set up which will be out for that same race. Both are single turbo car. Gary switched over from a Pro Charger F1 set up.
Several guys are in the 500 hp with single T, twin T and SC set ups now.