General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Please Help With Important Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
sopwith21

Default Please Help With Important Rebuild Question

I intend to completely rebuild my 1980 Mustang. Everything except the engine and unit body must go in exchange for Cobra R brakes, 5-lug wheels, limited slip diff, complete suspension upgrade for mild road course work, etc. The car will be a fun, fast street car capable of running open track days at road courses.

It is very important that this not become a wild goose chase or R&D project. I want parts from ONE manufacturer that are specifically designed to work together and give me a predictable, solid result. Steeda's stuff looks very good to me so far. However, I have an inside line at a Ford dealership and can get SVO parts at a discount.

Is it possible to rebuild a car in such a manner and get the results I want using only (or primarily) SVO parts? Does SVO offer parts packages designed to work together - like Steeda packages - to give me a reliable result and help me get the car I want?

I'm a newbie here so any help or advice is truly appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please Help With Important Rebuild Question

There are undoubtedly some better parts than SVO for the same amount of cash. If you are just building a daily driver, then you could very easily go all the same brand. Personally I recommend building everything the most effective way possible. If you have no real budget, then you want to go with higher performance parts for certain things. If you want it to look like it rolled out of a dealer showroom and have a moderate HP increase, then maybe you should have all the parts be SVO. It really depends on your personal preference. The way I see it, if you are already doing the work, it wont be any easier to replace 1 brand over the other. You can buy certain kits or packages that save money and work well together, like a steeda full suspension upgrade. But for the most part, the parts are going to be the same and just the quality will be different. I would start shopping around and thinking more about what type of result you want in the end
Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
my little red 90
2nd Gear Member

invest a dime and talk to maximum motorsports. look at their web site. they havevery high grade and workable packages.
i'm using a lot of their stuff on my 90 LX and really like the results.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Griggs Racing
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
sopwith21

Is there a list somewhere of all the Mustang performance companies that would build a car to suit my style... road racing, autoX?